Best mtb under 600

hexbugspider
hexbugspider Posts: 38
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hello, everyone, my names is Nick and I'm 13 years old.

I'm 5"9 and would like to purchase a new mtb to get into the hobby.
As you know my budget is £600 so here are a couple options.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -22-frames
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod159729
I do want a 29er and some decent shocks with them. If these aren't good could you please recommend :D me some?

thanks,
Nick

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both are good for this cash - the Bizango gets a more 'modern' drivetrain, but nothing wrong with the 2x system on the Nucleus and I actually prefer the feel of the shift on the budget shimano stuff, though with no clutched rear mech it will be noisier over the rougher ground.

The Bizango also gets a stiffer, lighter fork with a bolt through axle, however the XC30 is better made and feels much more supple over smaller stuff. Brakes are similar, both a bit low on power with a wooden feel, but better pads and bigger rotors soon sorts that.

If you want something with a bit longer travel, then the Diamond Back Myers is worth a look:

https://www.merlincycles.com/diamondbac ... 05262.html

Only small left, and they are quite short too.
  • Alright Vitus it is, which wheel size should I get since I will be using this bike for my paper round and trails.
  • Oh boo! I thought the Vitus came with air forks instead they are coil! Gotta be the bizango then
  • supersonic
    If doing a paper round I'd get a Raleigh Chopper ;-)

Seriously though, would be best to do a little reading on wheel sizes. Generalising, the larger the wheel is, the more easily it rolls over obstacles, increasing grip and maintaining momentum. The larger size does add a little more weight, are a little more flexy and some find them to handle more slowly or feel 'cumbersome'. There are many other factors though - some good articles and tests out there to read.

"Forks: RockShox 30 Silver TK, 29”, Solo Air Spring, Turn Key Lock-Out with External Rebound Damping Adjustment, Ø32mm Steel Stanchions – Nickel coating, Tapered Alloy Steerer, 100mm Travel, 51mm Offset 9mm QR"

Yeah, it looks like they have cocked up the description somewhere.

Also look at the Carrera Fury.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Cannondale Trail 3 (2017) is on sale for £580 from Paul's Cycles.
    Same forks as the Vitus but better drive chain (Shimano Deore) and Shimano brakes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Oh wait the Vitus comes with "solo air" shocks, does that mean it's an air or coil shock?
  • JBA
    Air.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • yay
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod159729
    Why in the description of the fork does it say
    100mm of Sus travel but in the product description it says 120mm?
  • supersonic
    It's also saying the fork has 32mm stanchions - an xc30, as the name suggests, has 30mm.

I'd email them and check what is what.
  • Ok thanks alot.
  • Lol on the Vitus website apparently the 29er is 0.4 kg lighter seems legit.
  • Any news?
  • JBA
    Any news?

About what?

• JBA wrote:
    Any news?

About what?
    oh, I was referring to if the email had been answered about the Vitus nucleus 29 vrs suspension. Just wanted to get to the bottom on what suspension it really is(tk 30 silver).
  • supersonic
    You are the one that needs to email them ;-)
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    supersonic wrote:
    You are the one that needs to email them ;-)

Lol, some confusion between the words I'd and I'll I think. ;) Very similar words, with very different meanings.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Oops! English exam in 4 days too.. wish me luck.