lights recommendations

alim0229
alim0229 Posts: 24
edited June 2018 in Commuting general
Hi there

I am looking for some new lights for my bike. Looking for something powerful, that has a good flashing pattern that can be used to be seen in the day.

Priority is to be seen including the day.

I’ve looked at the Exposure Maxx D which seems very good but ideally would like something a bit cheaper.

magic shine seems good also but not sure whether I want a separate battery pack

Any suggestions please

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    To see by or just be seen ?
  • alim0229
    alim0229 Posts: 24
    Both really but definitely be seen by also
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Ravemen PR1200 seems to be the best choice at the moment
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    hi, Cateye volt 1200 is going cheap at the moment, very good light IME!
  • jeatsy
    jeatsy Posts: 26
    I don't own them so I can't vouch for them, but See Sense at https://seesense.cc/pages/features says it'll increase brightness in risky situations such as when it detects a car ahead/behind, or when you're turning.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Get a lot of complaints about how bright my Bontrager ion 700 fronts are...even on the mid setting. On max it is incredible..

And a couple of people on the last group requested I stay at the back with my bontrafet Flare r city rear light.

Both of which i take as a recommendation, at least from a safety point of view.
  • defever
    defever Posts: 171
    Good morning Alim0229,

I was looking for a good light set for commuting just like you last September (thread: Bike lights for commuting - minefield!!) and this is what I got:
    defever wrote:
    UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for continued advice and suggestions, it is so helpful to hear from fellow and experienced commuters.

After getting lost in WWW reading reviews and watching YouTube clips, I decided to just go to some shops and actually see and feel some products.

We went to Go Outdoors first (as we have the membership card) and I came out with this:

Moon Moon Meteor X Auto & Arcturus Auto Light Set (£49.99)
    52432-050916154355667776292.jpg

Just as I queued up at the till, I saw the "price match guarantee" post so I quickly Googled for prices elsewhere and there was a website which was selling the same set for £42.99. I asked the staff at the till very nicely about price match, showed the website, approved the price match guarantee + 10% price reduction...

I paid a grand total of £37.00. I'm very happy with that price.

I haven't yet tested out the lights in real situation but both front and rear lights are super bright, much better than the current set up. I feel very confident with this pair but lets see how it performs in real life situation.

Thanks very much everyone for all your comments.

Happy commuting!

It has daylight flashing mode both front and rear and that's plenty during the day. Front has continuous 450 lumen with clear beam so that's more than plenty for night riding. Oncoming cars definitely recognises me. I think anything more than 450 (unless you go pitchdark off-road solo rides) is just too bright and blinds oncoming road users, which I think is as dangerous as not having a light.

USB charging is very handy. Small, don't weigh much, the rubber straps are good too; they keep the lights secure and don't slip much (unless you go gravelling).