Giant defy v dolan etape - dr1 - tuono sl

k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
So at the moment i ride two giant defy bikes. One aluminium commuting/winter and one carbon for summer. The older aluminium is due an upgrade really so going on ebay. Going to get another carbon bike as i notice the difference so much in comfort between the two similar bikes. I much prefer a relaxed upright ride as ive had a herniated l4/5 disc in lower a back a few years ago and still get niggles from that. My only requirement is electronic groupset as i have it in my summer bike and love it. As for geometry. I would consider something a little bit more racey as long as its not too aggressive. For example i had a canyon ultimate in aluminium and found it too aggressive on longer rides for my back.

Ive been looking at dolans offerings and they are reasonably priced. The three that jump out at me are the etape, DR1, and the tuono sl. Im pretty clueless at comparing geometrys. I assume the etape will be closest to the comfort of my defy whereas im unsure how the other 2 are regarding comfort. I prefer the tuono and dr1 for looks but really dont want to make the wrong purchase regarding geometry again like i did with the canyon.

Any experience of the dolans would be good too or any advice regarding comfort on all 3 bikes.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Looking at the stack and reach figures for the Dolan's that you have suggested, they are definitely more aggressive than the defy and more aggressive in my opinion than the Canyon Ultimate.
    Unless you can try out these bikes then it maybe a mistake to consider purchasing them.

If you want vfm and a not too aggressive geometry consider the following:

1. Ribble Gran Fondo
    2. Cannondale Synapse - when they go on sale.
    3. Canyon Endurace

All the other major manufacturers generally tend to have a less aggressive model which becomes much better value in the sales.
    If you are not confident assessing geometry do not buy without being able to check for fit. If you are near a good lbs like EPIC cycles / Westbrook cycles for example then go see them - this will likely be a better experience then just ordering from the internet.
  • k3vinjam3s
    letap73 wrote:
    Looking at the stack and reach figures for the Dolan's that you have suggested, they are definitely more aggressive than the defy and more aggressive in my opinion than the Canyon Ultimate.
    Unless you can try out these bikes then it maybe a mistake to consider purchasing them.

If you want vfm and a not too aggressive geometry consider the following:

1. Ribble Gran Fondo
    2. Cannondale Synapse - when they go on sale.
    3. Canyon Endurace

All the other major manufacturers generally tend to have a less aggressive model which becomes much better value in the sales.
    If you are not confident assessing geometry do not buy without being able to check for fit. If you are near a good lbs like EPIC cycles / Westbrook cycles for example then go see them - this will likely be a better experience then just ordering from the internet.

Looked at all your suggesstions too. The ribble is a no go as my dad has it and dont want the same bike. A di2 equipped synapse is too expensive and the canyon i like but dont love.

Is the dolan etape really that aggressive? I thoight it would be similar to the defy?

Im literally 10 miles from westbrooks but they havent the best selection at the moment.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Based on a similar stack:

Dolan etape 48 Stack = 542.4 Reach = 385.8
    Defy (s) Stack = 546 Reach = 377
    Ultimate (s) Stack = 546 Reach = 374

You can see that etape for equivalent stack has much more reach - thus is more aggressive than the defy and the ultimate
    What size is your Defy?
    What is your saddle height above the bottom bracket?
    What is the length of the stem on the defy - what is the amount/length of spacers under the stem.
    If your defy is either medium or large then this is a good bet:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/look-765-h ... 05051.html

The geometry is very relaxed for both the medium and large - although I would confirm this with Merlin.
  • k3vinjam3s
    letap73 wrote:
    Based on a similar stack:

Dolan etape 48 Stack = 542.4 Reach = 385.8
    Defy (s) Stack = 546 Reach = 377
    Ultimate (s) Stack = 546 Reach = 374

You can see that etape for equivalent stack has much more reach - thus is more aggressive than the defy and the ultimate
    What size is your Defy?
    What is your saddle height above the bottom bracket?
    What is the length of the stem on the defy - what is the amount/length of spacers under the stem.
    If your defy is either medium or large then this is a good bet:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/look-765-h ... 05051.html

The geometry is very relaxed for both the medium and large - although I would confirm this with Merlin.

Im surprised at the ultimates reach there. Maybe the discomfort was from a harsher stiffer ride. As i even tried shortening the canyons stem and 'unslamming' the stem.

The defy i have either a 110mm stem and seat position is 800mm above bottom bracket with seat pushed forward a touch.

Im not totally against something a bit more aggressive just not on the extreme scale of it. Part of me relishes having a quicker bike too. Seems silly buying another bike very very similar to the one i have already.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Whats your budget ?

I have the giant defy as my winter bike and a kuota kharma as my best bike. I took both bikes to a fitter and he pretty quickly replicated my position on each bike. (set me me up on kuota and copied across to giant)

I am pretty comfy on both bikes - (the kuota is faster mybe due to wheels and being lighter ) - bikes I have been looking at to replace it:-

Kuota Kiral
    Bianchi intenso or infinito
    Cube Agree C62 SL
    Sensa gula (merlin cycles)

The first two have fairly upright positions - the cubes geo is difficult to work out - but the reach is comparable. The sensa seems incredible value.
  • k3vinjam3s
    kingrollo wrote:
    Whats your budget ?

I have the giant defy as my winter bike and a kuota kharma as my best bike. I took both bikes to a fitter and he pretty quickly replicated my position on each bike. (set me me up on kuota and copied across to giant)

I am pretty comfy on both bikes - (the kuota is faster mybe due to wheels and being lighter ) - bikes I have been looking at to replace it:-

Kuota Kiral
    Bianchi intenso or infinito
    Cube Agree C62 SL
    Sensa gula (merlin cycles)

The first two have fairly upright positions - the cubes geo is difficult to work out - but the reach is comparable. The sensa seems incredible value.

Budget upto £2500. Looked at the cube but wheels let it down compared to value of the dolans and merlin bikes. Considered the merlin cordite too but hasnt upto date di2 on it.

Ill look into the kuota bikes

I like the sensa guila but though geometry would be too racey