Bar Width

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Experiences on going narrower ? Mine are currently 42cm c2c and I find them a little bit wider than I'd like, was thinking of going for 40cm but hardly seems worth the money - has anyone gone for 38cm and how did you find them ? I had 40s years ago so I know I'm OK with them, are 38s going to seem massively narrower, I know it's only 2cm but 2cm on a bike can be quite a lot ?

It's a race bike and I do intend to race on it next season so the aerodynamics is part of it - I was always happy with a narrow hand position on a TT bike hence the temptation.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Going down one size in the same bar make and model will solve "a little bit wider than i'd like" thing. It does not sound like you need to go down 2 sizes. Are you going to go for the same bar though? Shapes can make things feel different particularly on the top bends, one with sharper bends will be wider at that point.

Oh, also check for the obvious C-C and O-O differences in measuring.

You could go grab a load of bars at a shop too? Chuck a leg over mates' bikes and see what their bars are like?
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Having road bikes since 1990 I’ve ridden many bar widths as fashions change. Anything from 46 to 38.
    You get used to any after a few weeks.
    After riding 38’s for a while and then going up to 42’s
    You do feel like a parachute.
    38’s certainly feel more aero but does take a while to get used to.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    I changed my bars from 42 to 38. Like you I found the 42s a little wide. The 38s feel more natural to me so don't assume that getting more aero means less comfortable. My advice would be to get a cheap but still competent set like Deda Zero 1 (£16 or so ) and see how you get on. If it works, get the bling later on.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Yes I think I will - it's not the end of the world if they are a little too narrow and it's one of those things that unless you give it time to get used to you will probably never know how you'd get on with them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]