Foot pain in one of the road shoes

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited February 2019 in Road general
Hi Guys,

So I have Mavic Comete ultimate road shoes and I’m experiencing pain in my RIGHT pinky toe, on the joint. I only feel it when the toe touches the shoe. The inside of the shoe is quite hard due to the full carbon shell. However, my LEFT pinky toe is not experiencing any pain, just the right one. I’ve worn these shoes for a month without any problem and this pain just started out of nowhere. Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this and how to resolve this problem?

This is the link to a photo to show where exactly the pain is. https://ibb.co/c185Ho

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Hi Guys,

So I have Mavic Comete ultimate road shoes and I’m experiencing pain in my RIGHT pinky toe, on the joint. I only feel it when the toe touches the shoe. The inside of the shoe is quite hard due to the full carbon shell. However, my LEFT pinky toe is not experiencing any pain, just the right one. I’ve worn these shoes for a month without any problem and this pain just started out of nowhere. Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this and how to resolve this problem?

This is the link to a photo to show where exactly the pain is. https://ibb.co/c185Ho

That’s a pretty common problem, with any shoe that is quite rigid. You will tend to either naturally pronate ( roll your foot inwards) or supinate ( roll your foot outwards ) if you’re right foot dominant ( most people are ) the tendency will be to Supinate the right foot. In a stiff shoe, this will cause pressure to bear on the pinky joint. Try and actively roll the foot inwards, when it happens, for a few miles, and the pressure should ease up a bit. Also, if you’re using cleats ( I’m presuming you are) every now and again, actively lift your toes upwards in the shoe, as you’ll ( unconsciously) be bunching your toes, during hard pedalling. You can also help it by pulling up more than pushing down, to turn the cranks, for a while, if your feet get a bit achey. Getting a proper bike fitting done ( cleat position included ) may also help.
  • mtbrider123
    Hi Guys,

That’s a pretty common problem, with any shoe that is quite rigid. You will tend to either naturally pronate ( roll your foot inwards) or supinate ( roll your foot outwards ) if you’re right foot dominant ( most people are ) the tendency will be to Supinate the right foot. In a stiff shoe, this will cause pressure to bear on the pinky joint. Try and actively roll the foot inwards, when it happens, for a few miles, and the pressure should ease up a bit. Also, if you’re using cleats ( I’m presuming you are) every now and again, actively lift your toes upwards in the shoe, as you’ll ( unconsciously) be bunching your toes, during hard pedalling. You can also help it by pulling up more than pushing down, to turn the cranks, for a while, if your feet get a bit achey. Getting a proper bike fitting done ( cleat position included ) may also help.

Thank you for letting me know what the problem is. Yes, I’m using cleats and I’ve already had 3/4 bike fits. I have custom insoles and the arch seems to be quite high. Maybe that is causing the foot to roll out more and hence cause the pinky to hit/touch the shoe?
  • milemuncher1

Thank you for letting me know what the problem is. Yes, I’m using cleats and I’ve already had 3/4 bike fits. I have custom insoles and the arch seems to be quite high. Maybe that is causing the foot to roll out more and hence cause the pinky to hit/touch the shoe?

Absolutely right. If you have a high arch, the foot will naturally be in a position where the toes bunch up to a far greater degree than a lower arch. This will exacerbate the Supination when the heel lifts as well.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351

Absolutely right. If you have a high arch, the foot will naturally be in a position where the toes bunch up to a far greater degree than a lower arch. This will exacerbate the Supination when the heel lifts as well.

Well to throw a spanner in the works, having fitted arch support insoles my foot stopped hurting on the outside where previously my foot was rolling over.

The extra arch support whilst seemingly to roll your foot over can actually support your foot so that it doesn't roll over as much.
  • milemuncher1
    imafatman wrote:

Well to throw a spanner in the works, having fitted arch support insoles my foot stopped hurting on the outside where previously my foot was rolling over.

The extra arch support whilst seemingly to roll your foot over can actually support your foot so that it doesn't roll over as much.

That’s very true, if the material in the arch support is pliant enough for your foot. It’s horses for courses, and the material in one person’s support may be too soft / too hard for it to work the same for someone else.
  • mtbrider123
    Thank you for your replies. So, 1. The insoles are very stiff (the brand is Sidas), 2. I’ve tried putting the original insole (soft one) and my pinky toe still hurts whenever it hits the side (when I move my foot). 3. I’ve tried my old shoes (sidi shot) with custom insoles and my pinky toe doesn’t hurt even when it touches the side of the shoe.

The toe hurts if I press it with my finger, so my conclusion is that the side of the Mavic shoe is just too hard, and the only solution is to switch back to my old sidi shoes, do you agree with me?
  • mtbrider123
    imafatman wrote:

I got these insoles about 2 years ago because I had foot paint (in the middle) with the sidi shot shoes. No pain with the insoles, so they definitely work.

That’s very true, if the material in the arch support is pliant enough for your foot. It’s horses for courses, and the material in one person’s support may be too soft / too hard for it to work the same for someone else.
  • milemuncher1
    Thank you for your replies. So, 1. The insoles are very stiff (the brand is Sidas), 2. I’ve tried putting the original insole (soft one) and my pinky toe still hurts whenever it hits the side (when I move my foot). 3. I’ve tried my old shoes (sidi shot) with custom insoles and my pinky toe doesn’t hurt even when it touches the side of the shoe.

The toe hurts if I press it with my finger, so my conclusion is that the side of the Mavic shoe is just too hard, and the only solution is to switch back to my old sidi shoes, do you agree with me?

I concur.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    So someone does spend £900 on cycling shoes! Shame they didnt work out...
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • milemuncher1

Christ!! 900 notes :shock: I’d be putting up with a bit of discomfort, or having my toe removed if it was me :lol:
  • milemuncher1
    I see they have “removable booties” maybe there’s a more comfortable option with a different ‘bootie’.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Is there a difference in stack height between the two shoes?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Christ!! 900 notes :shock: I’d be putting up with a bit of discomfort, or having my toe removed if it was me :lol:
    Mavic should send one of Pinnos pop up girls to suck it better.
  • mtbrider123
    I see they have “removable booties” maybe there’s a more comfortable option with a different ‘bootie’.

Nah, no other bootie, just the original one.
  • mtbrider123
    imafatman wrote:
    Is there a difference in stack height between the two shoes?

No... it looks like the problem can’t be solved as the shoe is just too hard.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,521

Mavic should send one of Pinnos pop up girls to suck it better.

:D

I've just noticed this. The was a post from the good old bad days.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Heartwarming to know that spending £900 on road shoes still guarantees absolutely nothing. Also worth chuckling over the fact that Milemuncher is now on his tenth different user account since last June...