Non Boost Wheel in Boost Frame.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Is there a way to fit a non-boost wheel (RaceFace Turbine, the original one, non-convertible) into a Boost frame? I wouldn't mind changing my frame but almost everything is now Boost spaced and I can't afford new wheels at the same time.

Ta

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Boost will be 12 mm axle that is 148mm long, non boost being 142mm.

If axle diameter of wheel is 12mm, then buy a longer axle but make sure the thread is the same size., there are 3 variations.

Then you need two 3mm spacers for the axle.

Finally you need to move the disc brake rotor out, again this needs a spacer and longer bolts, a kit is available for example on ebay.
    Lastly you need to adjust the chain ring(s) to account for the cassette being further in, if single direct mount chainring then get one with appropriate offset.
  • wilkij1975
    Ok. Thanks for the reply. I’d read a few people had done this but wondered if it would turn into a death trap!

Proper annoying that I have to though. Not sure why everything has to be boost spaced apart from so the industry can squeeze more money from us all? But that’s a discussion for another day.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Won’t work, the cassette and disc are too far in to then be accommodated, you need the right wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    No, disc can be moved out with a spacer kit, cassette I'm not totally sure but would have thought there is 3mm of adjustment in mechs, just then a matter of having the ideal chain line.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Save up for a bit longer and buy a new wheel or a new hub and get it rebuilt on your existing rim. Far easier and not much more expensive than faffing around with conversion kits that may or may not work.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • wilkij1975
    And then when I get a boost wheel or hub the next best standard in axles and widths will kick in to make us all spend even more than we should really need to. The industry needs to chill out a bit and stop using us as cash cows!

Anyway, been looking for a cheap boost wheel until I can get what I want. Not much out the but hadn’t thought of buying a hub and building my rim onto it. Will look into that. I assume it’s be possible even with a rim from a ‘factory’ wheel build?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    02GF74 wrote:
    No, disc can be moved out with a spacer kit
    Yeah, great idea for your brakes......or more likely breaks......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    The Rookie wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:
    No, disc can be moved out with a spacer kit
    Yeah, great idea for your brakes......or more likely breaks......

If you know this arrangement beaks, can you point to examples/references or is it just guesswork.

I have an old bontrager rear hub that for some unknown reason used a spacer and it had done thousands of miles braking without breaking. .

Of course it is a compromise but that does not men it will fail, there are people on weight weenies site that run disc with 3 bolts or 6 aluminium alloy bolts without failures, that set up is weaker than the adapter.
  • wilkij1975
    Wolftooth make a kit called the Boostinator. That includes a rotor spacer. I'm sure it won't kill many people.

This kit doesn't fit my wheels though unfortunately.
  • 02gf74
    Yes, I saw those, it replaces the end caps hence fits a limited number of wheels.

I may be wrong but the generic kits are spacers that fit over the hub.

There was discussion elsewhere about this type as to whether they put extra stress on the axle.