Sram Brakes - Red Single Pivot or Force Dual Pivot?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Just got an Etap GS and need some callipers to complete the bike. I was going for Red callipers over Force but just realised they are single pivot whereas the Force are Dual Pivot.

My other bikes all have Dual Pivot and I understand Single Pivot is seen as inferior or old school? On line reviews of the Red callipers seem a bit hit and miss.

Anyone have any real experience of both or at least some experience of the pros and cons of single pivot callipers?

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    All things being equal, dual pivot is a stronger brake than single pivot. It looks like the red is optimised for weight and aerodynamics.

Doesn’t mean the red will be a weak brake though is likely to be less than the force.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I have the Red calipers with eTap and have no issues with them whatsoever, and they seem as powerful, if not more so, than any of the dual pivot models I've tried. I've seen comments about them being hard to centre, and housing needing to be precisely cut to length, but I had no difficulty at all setting them up. Just use a 13mm spanner to tweak the centring.
  • Used sram red for 3 years, no difference in stopping power/modulation between those and anything else I have used including campag/shimano.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,266
    red work fine

for a given braking force the levers need to be squeezed a bit harder than more 'powerful' brakes - this was very noticeable when i switched from red to ee brakes

this comparison of umpteen brakes gives more info...
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=125349
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Had SRAM Red Black brakes since 2010 and can't fault them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I’ve had the Red brakes for 4 years and they’re excellent.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I've had 2008 Force Brakes and Red Brakes from before the change to the Aero-link ones and now the Aero-link ones. All of them work and are adequate, but none of them are as good as Campag Record and Super Record (dual pivot front, single pivot rear) on the same wheels, and that goes for feel, modulation and power. I don't know about Shimano as I don't buy fishing equipment.

It is worth experimenting with the pads with Sram brakes, Koolstop Salmon wear quick but are good in all conditions, Swisstop blue evos are a touch better than the stock "Sram by Swisstop ones but not as good as the Salmon in the wet, and Dura Ace pads are a touch better than the Swisstop blue evos and cost less (can't spot the shimano on the bike either which is good).
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    mfin wrote:
    I don't buy fishing equipment.
    mfin wrote:
    but not as good as the Salmon in the wet.

Are you conflicted about fish and fishing?? :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D