Winter bike

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

I am considering a new winter bike. The bike will be used for road stuff (non off-road or gravel) but I am torn between the more traditional approach (metal frame) and the newer version of a winter bike; IE discs, 32 mm tyres, carbon frame, gravel type bike. yes, I know that I said that I wouldn't be riding on gravel of off-road, but the roads are so crap that the Checkpoint, Diverge or something similar may do the job. Has anyone had the same query?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    Ideal tyre size for a winter road bike in my view is somewhere from 28mm to 32mm. Not much point in going any bigger if you intend to stay on the road.

You'll also want proper, full length fixed mudguards as they'll probably stay on the bike all the time.

Hydro discs would be ideal, and it seems that flat mount and through axles seem to be becoming the accepted standard.

Frame material really comes down to personal preference. My winter bike is steel but it is a heavy old thing. A good case could be made for aluminium, Ti or carbon, all would do the job perfectly well.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I prefer to stay with rim brakes cos

1. Never used discs
    2. Mates that have hated them and sold the bikes
    3. At least you can swap between wheels quickly - if the summer bike has a flat you can swap your winter wheel in.

But definitely proper full mudguards and wider tyres. Frame is almost immaterial.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    something comfy, looks cool, 105.

not a trek.

frame material irrelevant.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What's your budget?

If I was buying a winter bike these days I'd sell a kidney and have something from Mason Cycles. Or a Genesis Datum.

Full mudguards and 32mm tyres essential. Hydro discs sensible.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,042
    Just recycle your summer bike and get a new one.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ManiaMuse
    ManiaMuse Posts: 89
    Get whatever takes your fancy so long as it comes with full length fitted mudguards or proper mounting points and adequate wheel/frame clearance for adding them yourself without too much swearing.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I've been looking in this space too.

If you are sticking with rim brakes then the Triban 520 is really sensible. Apparently 28s and mudguards.
    Anything bigger than a 28 will struggle with mudguards under even deep drop calipers.

Review here: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/ro ... triban-520

A triple means middle ring cruising on club runs, Nice. Only £500.

Other options:
    I've been waiting to see the Cube Nu road in the flesh but not actually seen one yet. The EXC model looks like a great commute option with the dynamo. Due in the summer I think, downside is the press fit BB.

Pinnacle Dolomite looks a good option too - but limited to 28, maybe 30 tyres at a push with guards. Seems a shame to be so tight on clearance. The Arkose is a heavier beast.

Norco search is lacking hydraulic brakes.

Boardman ASR is a good steel option, again 28 is as big as the tyre gets. Shame the colour is so bland.

I agree with the point about 32 being as big as you'd want to go for club run / training duties if staying on road. I'm coming to the conclusion that there is a bit of a gap in the market between 28mm clearance and the leap to 40mm clearance.

I have a light tour planned in September so really need to make a decision!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Have you thought about the Planet X London Road https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/london-road
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Fenix wrote:

1. Never used discs
    3. At least you can swap between wheels quickly - if the summer bike has a flat you can swap your winter wheel in.

But definitely proper full mudguards and wider tyres. Frame is almost immaterial.

They sold them because of the discs? Sounds like bad purchasing on their part.

However, I am also amazed that anyone wouldn't like hydro discs. They are absolutely amazing and I won't be buying a rim brake bike again.
  • jamiedal
    jamiedal Posts: 18
    Have you thought about the Planet X London Road https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/london-road

I’d do this, they have a new one released in August, better wheels and slightly lighter if I remember correctly
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Older Giant Defy's take mudguards - you might struggle to get a 25mm tyre on it. But for the £300 I paid used its been good.
  • creampie
    creampie Posts: 19
    Check out this offering from Dolan. I paired mine with Cero c30 tubeless wheels and shimano 105. Not let me down yet .worth a look .
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just recycle your summer bike and get a new one.

This

Or one of those blue Ribble things that billions of people have.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • creampie
    creampie wrote:
    Check out this offering from Dolan. I paired mine with Cero c30 tubeless wheels and shimano 105. Not let me down yet .worth a look .

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-preff ... -5800.html
  • creampie
    creampie wrote:

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-preff ... -5800.html
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    joey54321 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

1. Never used discs

They sold them because of the discs? Sounds like bad purchasing on their part.

However, I am also amazed that anyone wouldn't like hydro discs. They are absolutely amazing and I won't be buying a rim brake bike again.

I was dead against discs until I sold my best bike and had to use my CX bike on the road. After 2 months of hydro discs I changed my new bike purchase criteria, it had to have hydro discs.
    For me theyre a game changer. Never wearing rims out and being able to use one wheel set year round with a potentially indefinite lifespan (as long as you change bearings) is a huge bonus. And then there's the stopping power and modulation.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    A CX bike with discs and plenty of mudguard clearance. I ride a Caad X in winter with guards and 28mm tyres. Doubles up as a commuter too. If I were to upgrade I'd definitely go for discs as the braking is poor on my Caad X with cantilevers.