Vote: Extra $110 for Full carbon frame worth it??

Kinchi
Kinchi Posts: 21
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm buying a bike...one has Ultegra and an aluminum frame with carbon fork, weighs 21 lb. The other is basically the same but has Shimano 105 and is full carbon, weighing in at 19 lb. I'm a beginner rider but hoping this bike will last 20 years. Would you spend the extra $110!?? I weigh 125 lb if that makes a difference. I don't race, never will, but might like to be able to keep up with group rides.

Your vote??

Comments

• joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    What bikes are they? Seem quite heavy for road bikes - especially the full Carbon one....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ali

Better groupset, money saving, you'll save 2lbs when you upgrade the wheels and tyres when they wear out.

The only thing that will last 20 years is the frame and forks though.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the 105 is the new R7000 I'd probably go carbon F&F with 105.
  • Kinchi
    keef66 wrote:

Sorry, what's the new R7000?
  • Kinchi
    Joebristol wrote:
    What bikes are they? Seem quite heavy for road bikes - especially the full Carbon one....
    https://www.diamondback.com/airen-4-carbon
    https://www.diamondback.com/airen-2-test-3943

Diamondback Airen 2 vs Diamondback Airen Carbon 4
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,803
    Kinchi wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

The latest version of 105, the previous being 5800.

Like the current Ultegra is 8000, the previous being 6800.

FWIW I'd second Keef's comment.
  • Kinchi
    Ali

Better groupset, money saving, you'll save 2lbs when you upgrade the wheels and tyres when they wear out.

So your vote is the carbon version?
  • mrb123
    Kinchi wrote:
    Joebristol wrote:
    https://www.diamondback.com/airen-4-carbon
    https://www.diamondback.com/airen-2-test-3943

Diamondback Airen 2 vs Diamondback Airen Carbon 4

So both of those bikes have the previous generation groupsets
  • Kinchi
    MrB123 wrote:
    Kinchi wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Ok they are the previous versions of Ultegra and 105 you mentioned. Bike is 2017. So now what's your vote? Thanks!!!
  • Kinchi
    FYI at my local shop the price of the Airen 2 is $1180 and the Carbon 4 is $1290.
  • keef66
    Ah, the hydraulic disc brakes / wheels explain the weights.

If those are all that's on your shortlist, go for the Ultegra / alu frame. You're getting much better / more comfortable / less ugly STI levers.
  • Kinchi
    keef66 wrote:
    Ah, the hydraulic disc brakes / wheels explain the weights.

If those are all that's on your shortlist, go for the Ultegra / alu frame. You're getting much better / more comfortable / less ugly STI levers.

Should the hydraulic disc brakes not be on my list? The bike shop guys I've spoken with seem to think they are much better than mechanical disc brakes in terms of maintenance/repair? I just know I want brakes that feel easy to pull. I won't be riding in gravel or rain.
  • mrb123
    Kinchi wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Kinchi wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Ok they are the previous versions of Ultegra and 105 you mentioned. Bike is 2017. So now what's your vote? Thanks!!!

I'd go for the aluminium one of those two. Can't stand those older 105 brake levers.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    If you won’t be riding in rain / wet weather than rim brakes will get you a lighter frame / wheels and other spec for the money.

In the dry I’d say my 105 discs have a little more power than my old Sram Apex rim brakes, but it’s not night and day different.

It’s the wet where discs really come into their own.
  • Kinchi
    Joebristol wrote:
    If you won’t be riding in rain / wet weather than rim brakes will get you a lighter frame / wheels and other spec for the money.

In the dry I’d say my 105 discs have a little more power than my old Sram Apex rim brakes, but it’s not night and day different.

Agree rim would be sufficient and lighter...the trouble is i am not buying a custom built bike. A bike with rim brakes also usually has a sora groupset and maybe even an alluminum fork. Is that what you would suggest? Ideally id like to find the sweet spot for value with good enough components that i dont want to end up upgrading the bike in 5 years.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Ali
    Who is Ali?
  • Kinchi
    Ali
    Who is Ali?
    No idea. :)
  • mrb123
    Kinchi wrote:
    Joebristol wrote:

Agree rim would be sufficient and lighter...the trouble is i am not buying a custom built bike. A bike with rim brakes also usually has a sora groupset and maybe even an alluminum fork. Is that what you would suggest? Ideally id like to find the sweet spot for value with good enough components that i dont want to end up upgrading the bike in 5 years.

Not sure why you think that about rim brake bikes. They are available at all price points and with all levels of groupset right up to the most expensive bikes of all.

You will generally pay a premium for hydro discs, so for the same money you may well find a rim braked bike with better spec, perhaps a better groupset or wheels.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Kinchi wrote:
    Ali

So your vote is the carbon version?

No. Aluminum.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    If you're not planning on riding in the wet I would say rim brakes are fine. Given the prices of your hydro disc models, you should be able to find a 2017 bike with full carbon frame and fork and Ultegra 6800 with rim brakes for the same money, no?

OK, we're in the UK, but my son did just that a month ago and got a £1600 bike for £1000
  • Kinchi
    keef66 wrote:
    If you're not planning on riding in the wet I would say rim brakes are fine. Given the prices of your hydro disc models, you should be able to find a 2017 bike with full carbon frame and fork and Ultegra 6800 with rim brakes for the same money, no?

OK, we're in the UK, but my son did just that a month ago and got a £1600 bike for £1000

I wish! Maybe I don't know where to look! When I look at performance bicycle and trek, everything scales up together. For example, on the Trek Domane, to get rim brakes, you get sora.