Minion dhf wt holds no air

Rowan404
Rowan404 Posts: 104
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I converted my rear tire to tubeless like two weeks ago but ran out of sealant so I've been running my front dhf wt tr with with a tube for the past two weeks. I just got more sealant today but when doing a dry run the tire holds no air. Weird considering the very similarly shaped dhr wt I have on the back had no such problems. Its also worth noting that the rims are tubeless ready as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Rowan404
    Nevermind, just needed more tape.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,448
    Rowan404 wrote:

I bought a brand new bike with TLR rims. When converting to tubeless, the rear tyre went straight up. However, on the front wheel, the sealant was running out of the drain hole in the rim! The rim tape had to be completely removed and replaced.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Rowan404 wrote:

Always nice when someone answers their own question! :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Despite types being 'tubeless ready' they can still be porous. Stick your sealant in, inflate, shake it all about, if it deflates slowly then inflate again - go for a quick ride to get the sidewalls fully sealed. But yes, if your rim tape is leaking sort that too :D
  • Rowan404
    Also worth noting that I did both tires with old tube valve stems and $4 gorilla tape from my local homehardware store. I don't really see the point of all this fancy tubeless gear if you can get an equal seal with stuff you already have.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,448
    Rowan404 wrote:
    Also worth noting that I did both tires with old tube valve stems and $4 gorilla tape from my local homehardware store. I don't really see the point of all this fancy tubeless gear if you can get an equal seal with stuff you already have.

My LBS recommends Gorilla tape, and so do I. You can some that looks like carbon fibre tape. Yes I know it's inside the tyre so nobody sees it, but I know its there! :)