Roubaix frame changes?

thedude777
thedude777 Posts: 3
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Expert SL3 with full Ultegra for $1895. According to the seller the bike has at most 100 miles on it. I can't seem to figure out what's changed on the frame since the 2011 model. I rode my brother's 2014 (or possibly 15) Roubaix and absolutely loved it.
Can anyone tell me what, if any upgrades have been made since the 2011? Is it worth spending the extra $$ for a newer model?

Comments

• matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    The Roubaix has changed quite a bit since 2011, compare it to the Expert out now: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/rouba ... 098-133928

Gone are the Zertz inserts in the fork legs and seat stays, replaced with the Future Shock giving 20mm of front end travel, this was introduced in 2017 so the 2014/15 model you rode would've been very similar to the 2011.

I've spent a bit of time on both and actually prefer the Zertz version, but there's no way I'd value a 7 year old Roubaix at $1895, that's around £1400 GBP. Something like that is probably worth around £800 so $1075 but that's in the UK and it sounds like you're US based.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Matt_N wrote:
    The Roubaix has changed quite a bit since 2011, compare it to the Expert out now: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/rouba ... 098-133928

Gone are the Zertz inserts in the fork legs and seat stays, replaced with the Future Shock giving 20mm of front end travel, this was introduced in 2017 so the 2014/15 model you rode would've been very similar to the 2011.

I've spent a bit of time on both and actually prefer the Zertz version, but there's no way I'd value a 7 year old Roubaix at $1895, that's around £1400 GBP. Something like that is probably worth around £800 so $1075 but that's in the UK and it sounds like you're US based.

Thank you for your insight. I'll take that into consideration. The seller insists that he only rode the bike a couple of times and it's been sitting in his garage ever since, but then again I don't know much about buying bikes so I'll take your advice.
    Thank you.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It does sound very expensive.

Even if it had never been ridden a bike loses half its value once you take it out of the shop.

So 7 years down the line - it should be worth a lot less.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    A seven year old carbon frameset with unknown history. What could possibly go wrong?