Looking to get my first turbo trainer

Dr_Pips
Dr_Pips Posts: 10
Hi all,

I’m getting rid of my exercise bike as it takes up too much space in the garage and I’d rather ride a real bike. I don’t do a huge amount of cycling but want to get fitter before I go out on the road more so was thinking of s turbo trainer. I don’t want to spend too much, maybe £130 ish. I’d really like some sort of smart technology where I could have virtual rides on an iPad or something.

I have a Giant XTC with hybrid tyres.

What would you recommend?

I’ve seen a Tacx Bluematic T2650 and a Jetblack M5 pro mag, but I’m very open to ideas.

Am I expecting too much for the virtual rides stuff at my price range?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tbh just go outside on your bike. Turbo's are hard work. Your budget isn't Huge and you'd spend a bit on a fan to Keep you cool. It's summer now so just go ride.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    cougie wrote:
    Tbh just go outside on your bike. Turbo's are hard work. Your budget isn't Huge and you'd spend a bit on a fan to Keep you cool. It's summer now so just go ride.

Yeah basically that. Not to put you totally off the idea, but unless you are serious and planning on training hard and sweating buckets (or are on injury recovery) then turbos are sucky devices of torture - and I say that as someone who uses the turbo and Zwift three or more times a week all year round.

Get out and ride while you can! :-)

But if you must, then plump for something that can sync with training programs and automatically control the resistance to simulate gradients. A regular "dumb" trainer will just end up collecting dust in the corner after a month. Trust me on that one!

Don't forget you'll also NEED a fan and probably a mat to go underneath.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you have a target - say a big race or something and you're prepared to stick to a plan and ignore the nice sunshiney days to go and torture yourself then the turbo can work. I find its much better in the winter though to prepare for the season.

Just getting a bit fitter can easily be done outside in the decent weather and you're far more likely to stick at it.
  • Dr_Pips
    But if you must, then plump for something that can sync with training programs and automatically control the resistance to simulate gradients. A regular "dumb" trainer will just end up collecting dust in the corner after a month. Trust me on that one!

Thanks for the advice, I know what you mean about getting out more, but I’ve sold the exercise bike, and want to get a turbo trainer with the money now, so I don’t fritter it away on nothing, then I can use it in the winter.

Is there a model you’d recommend that would do what you say above in my price range?
  • Dr_Pips

Sorry to sound ignorant, but why is the fan so important? I’ve never used a fan when on the exercise bike.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You've not exercised properly then. I've three fans for my turbo.

If you're pootling along you may be ok but proper work builds up the heat amazingly.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Dr_Pips wrote:
    Sorry to sound ignorant, but why is the fan so important? I’ve never used a fan when on the exercise bike.

If you have to ask, you're not pedalling hard enough.... ;-)
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    I suggest you don’t worry about anything ‘smart’ in your budget, but maybe get a simple trainer and speed sensor, and then sign up to trainerroad or something else that is respectednin the world of virtual power.

Trainerroad is amazing at getting you fit, but as above, it’s a winter thing for when your garage is -2degC and you are prepping for spring. The biggest motivation for winter turbo training is getting out in the sun later in the year!!
  • SRoy
    SRoy Posts: 4
    Dr_Pips wrote:

When you are out cycling on the road the wind is there to cool you off. A turbo trainer can simulate everything except the wind on your face and the vibrations on your handle because end of the day it is stationary. So you would need a fan to cool you off. Otherwise you sweat a lot. Even with a fan you would sweat a lot. In fact most turbo trainer brands sell a separate towel like product that protects the top tube against dripping sweat :-)
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Something like the TacX Blue Matic is a cheap and cheerful turbo that should do well:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-blue-matic ... g-trainer/

£100, plus some change. It's not gonna be the best thing in the world but it will work.