Rapha Cycle Club

2»

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    My friend takes clients there for coffee and they really rate it. He even expenses the membership!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,871
    Which coffee shops are part of this Rapha Club scheme?
    Can it be used in any branch?
    What limits are in place eg. 1 free cup per day?

Given my caffeine addiction, it might be worth joining just to get a regular coffee fix that will more than cover the club subs. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Why don't you ask them?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mrpbennett wrote:
    That actually sounds alright tbh - grab a coffee on the way to work, I presume it has couches etc so you can meet your mates and drink free coffee at lunch. Pastries?

Ok, you wouldn’t want to ride with them but as a way of getting somewhere to chill and drink coffee it’s potentially not too bad. Segregate yourself from the clubbies and it could work.

I work in London and close to Soho, I would happily take clients there for a meeting and coffee. haha! I would like to ride with them for sure but just dont wanna get dropped haha.

If they drop you and leave you and have an attitude then it's a pretty shite club.

Use it for the free coffee/couches/etc - which actually seems pretty good and ride with your friends.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrpbennett
    mrpbennett Posts: 102
    My friend takes clients there for coffee and they really rate it. He even expenses the membership!

NOW!!! That is an idea!!!
  • mrpbennett
    mrpbennett wrote:
    That actually sounds alright tbh - grab a coffee on the way to work, I presume it has couches etc so you can meet your mates and drink free coffee at lunch. Pastries?

Ok, you wouldn’t want to ride with them but as a way of getting somewhere to chill and drink coffee it’s potentially not too bad. Segregate yourself from the clubbies and it could work.

I work in London and close to Soho, I would happily take clients there for a meeting and coffee. haha! I would like to ride with them for sure but just dont wanna get dropped haha.

If they drop you and leave you and have an attitude then it's a pretty shite club.

Use it for the free coffee/couches/etc - which actually seems pretty good and ride with your friends.

That is something I have learnt and been told! If you’re getting dropped and people are getting pissed about it then that is the wrong club for you!
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I'm not a Rapha fan, but....

I was away with a few mates last year, staying in, and riding around the Como area. We had a few routes pre-planned, but none of us had been there before. It happened that Rapha had a 'Pop Up' ride on the Saturday morning that one of the lads spotted on the internet. It was free, and we weren't all keen, but in the end we rolled up for an early start, and it was probably the best decision we made all week. We got a couple of local riders lead a bunch of around 20 on a cracking route on good roads that a non local would never have put together.

At the top of the main climb we were met by a Rapha van serving free snacks and coffee. I'd say about half the riders, maybe less, and all Italian, were RCC 'members', and very enthusiastic about the whole thing. No one was dropped, the guides were patient with a couple of the slower climbers, and everyone was back in one piece. There was no hard sell, not even a soft sell, just a 'turn up and ride'. So hat's off to Rapha from me.

I even bought a wallet in the sales.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    To be fair, I've seen quite a few groups of RCC riders in Richmond Park on my morning commute. They've always been fine, including last week when I dropped into a fairly quick group of them and they were more than happy me riding through the park with them so I could get a bit of a tow.

If I was living in central London then I wouldn't immediately dismiss the idea.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'm a member of the RCC. The main advantage for me is bike hire, I travel for work regularly to a few places with club houses, and can hire a Canyon with Dura Ace Di2 and Mavic carbon wheels for £15 a day. Add in free coffee and other perks (discount codes etc) and it pays for itself several times over.

I am also a member of a more traditional road club, which conflicts with my notion of being a "nouveau-riche bike snob".
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I'm a member of the RCC. The main advantage for me is bike hire, I travel for work regularly to a few places with club houses, and can hire a Canyon with Dura Ace Di2 and Mavic carbon wheels for £15 a day. Add in free coffee and other perks (discount codes etc) and it pays for itself several times over.

I am also a member of a more traditional road club, which conflicts with my notion of being a "nouveau-riche bike snob".

The rental alone is a great deal - I had no idea it was so cheap.
  • mrpbennett
    Beatmaker wrote:

The rental alone is a great deal - I had no idea it was so cheap.

I also quite like the idea of free rental on wahoo head units. I guess the coffee, the rental, wahoo head-units come into its's own if you're a close to a shop. If not I cant see it that appealing, but then again on the flip side, if I was to become a member and move from london the RCC isnt tailored to one certain location where as if i joined say London Velo Cafe CC and i moved from london id have to leave the club...
    Beatmaker wrote:

How have you found the app etc? I quite like the idea that you can branch off and organise rides of your own with other RCC members, I have seen a few go past my flat or on my local ride. So could potentially touch base with them and tag a long.

How long have you been a member?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think it's very easy to dismiss RCC in a display of reversed snobbery, what with the expensive kit (which happens to be the best available, IMO) and relatively expensive club membership.

But I have heard all the same positive anecdotes as above and have one or two myself. I live in Zone 2 and am currently sans club... seriously considering getting back into the club scene with RCC.

Free coffee is never to be so easily dismissed!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mrpbennett
    Ben6899 wrote:
    what with the expensive kit (which happens to be the best available, IMO) and relatively expensive club membership. Free coffee is never to be so easily dismissed!

I couldnt agree more, with the kit. I went on a shopping spree in the Rapha shop in Bicester (great place if you want discounted Rapha) I have 3 bib shorts, 3 tops and it's the best stuff i have worn especially the bib shorts.

@beatmaker -

1. what's the app like and how easy is it sort out your own rides or find rides that are more local to you?
    2. what's the people like in the RCC i bet you have some super competitive people but also people who just enjoy getting out.
    3. Are there different classes in terms of ability and speed?
    4. Anything you would change or dont like about the RCC
    5. With being a member would you suggest also being a member of a smaller more local club also?
  • mrpbennett
    Incase anyone is interested i shot RCC some questions and this was their reply.

Thank you for contacting us with your questions, I'm really pleased to hear you're thinking about joining the Rapha Cycling Club.

We have a variety of riders within the RCC and within the RCC App we split the pace by category; beginner, social, intermediate, advance and advance drop.

Within the description you'd also get a feel for the ride. Clubhouse rides are 'no drop' meaning no rider gets left behind. A small number of member-led rides which are race training orientated will state if they're a 'drop' ride and that all attendees should have the route.

We use the RCC App as a platform for rides and events globally. Earlier this year we took this in-house with our own app developer which means we have total ownership on expanding it's functionality.

If you join the RCC, you can apply for the RCC x Zwift Jersey through the website here.

Complimentary coffee in the Clubhouses doesn't translate to complimentary cake sadly, but the cake is delicious. If you're ever in Manchester, the banana bread toasted with butter is delicious. At our Soho Clubhouse I typically have the sweet potato waffles :)
  • Htclee
    Htclee Posts: 33
    I’m based in London and considering joining purely to have others to race with - has anyone got experience of racing with Rapha CC? What’s it like?
  • mrpbennett
    Htclee wrote:
    I’m based in London and considering joining purely to have others to race with - has anyone got experience of racing with Rapha CC? What’s it like?

Lets sign up together :lol: I have heard good things from people i have spoken too, the only negative stuff is that people say its over priced, elitist, snobbery etc etc...from what I have heard it's the complete opposite.
  • Htclee
    Why not? Some of the nicer people I’ve met when racing so far have been Rapha CC members, I also think the look is all the gear no idea however if the gear is actually decent and it means I don’t have to ride with the same people doing the same club run every week then it seems like a good option for me. I’m 15 minutes walk from spitalfields and would happily pop in to pick up a coffee on my way to work in the city. The real killer though is being able to race with others of a similar standard, would be great to hear from anyone who races with them?
  • mrpbennett
    Htclee wrote:
    Why not? Some of the nicer people I’ve met when racing so far have been Rapha CC members, I also think the look is all the gear no idea however if the gear is actually decent and it means I don’t have to ride with the same people doing the same club run every week then it seems like a good option for me. I’m 15 minutes walk from spitalfields and would happily pop in to pick up a coffee on my way to work in the city. The real killer though is being able to race with others of a similar standard, would be great to hear from anyone who races with them?

Although its £135 a year if you divide that by 12 thats £11.25 a month, if you think about it the free coffee would pay for it's self. Especially if you're close by and walk past on the way to work.

I emailed the RCC and this is what they came back with when i asked about the abilities....

"the RCC App we split the pace by category; beginner, social, intermediate, advance and advance drop.

Within the description you'd also get a feel for the ride. Clubhouse rides are 'no drop' meaning no rider gets left behind. A small number of member-led rides which are race training orientated will state if they're a 'drop' ride and that all attendees should have the route."

So it seems there are some mega hardcore people out there i mean... " advance and advance drop." that sounds hardcore! lol
    And to be honest like you said RCC members have been the nicer folk. I ride from Blackheath to Kent most weekends, i always give the nod or a wave and its very rare I get it back...yet i ride past an RCC member and i get a wave or a nod. I even caught a guy (non RCC) up at the lights and said good morning, and i was completely blanked. I was wearing Rapha kit, maybe he didnt like it..
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    mrpbennett wrote:
    Htclee wrote:

Although its £135 a year if you divide that by 12 thats £11.25 a month, if you think about it the free coffee would pay for it's self. Especially if you're close by and walk past on the way to work.

I emailed the RCC and this is what they came back with when i asked about the abilities....

"the RCC App we split the pace by category; beginner, social, intermediate, advance and advance drop.

Within the description you'd also get a feel for the ride. Clubhouse rides are 'no drop' meaning no rider gets left behind. A small number of member-led rides which are race training orientated will state if they're a 'drop' ride and that all attendees should have the route."

So it seems there are some mega hardcore people out there i mean... " advance and advance drop." that sounds hardcore! lol
    And to be honest like you said RCC members have been the nicer folk. I ride from Blackheath to Kent most weekends, i always give the nod or a wave and its very rare I get it back...yet i ride past an RCC member and i get a wave or a nod. I even caught a guy (non RCC) up at the lights and said good morning, and i was completely blanked. I was wearing Rapha kit, maybe he didnt like it..

Hi Paul, sorry for the delay, I've just responded to your DM.

Chris
  • mrpbennett
    No worries Chris...you have just help me make up my mind. I just pressed buy on the membership...see you on the Road.

@Htclee - latest member of RCC did you join up today also?
  • Htclee
    I havn’t yet - want to pop into the store and have a chat. Racing tonight but might get a chance to drop in on my way home Friday night.
  • mrpbennett
    Htclee wrote:
    I havn’t yet - want to pop into the store and have a chat. Racing tonight but might get a chance to drop in on my way home Friday night.

Nice. I have just got my membership number and my 25% off discount code. Just ordered my jersey I feel like an excited kid haha