Shimano R8070 DI2 rear cassette

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Hiya - I am planning to change rear cassette from 11-28 to 11-30 (Ultegra DI2 short cage), I read that the cage can take 11-30

Am I right in assuming the best option is to buy Shimano R8000 11-30 or are there other makers worth considering?

I know how to change the cassette but wondering do I need to do anything on the di2 side to let it know the cassette sizing has changed?

FYI - This is for a bike I am waiting to be delivered. Just want to be ready for that first ride don't want to use the 11-28 cassette as would like to sell that on to pay for the 11-30

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Cassette choice is individual preference plus what does least damage to the free hub. 105 cassettes are cheapest bang for bucks, but if you've got soft free hubs, will notch it up in no time due to so many loose parts. A Dura Ace cassette is better, but far too expensive.

You only need to do anything with Di2 if you're using E-Tube software and synchronised shifting.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jpower
    Cassette part I understand. More if I needed to do anything for the DI2, seems like I don't.
  • Livewire
    Livewire Posts: 91
    jpower wrote:
    Cassette part I understand. More if I needed to do anything for the DI2, seems like I don't.

Assuming your Di2 has the synchronization mode you will likely just want to plug in to E-tube and change the settings for cassette from 11-28 to 11-30, the ratios will then be automatically matched up for when you are running semi or fully synchronized. :D
  • jpower
    Thanks, yes connected to e-tube and updated the sync to show 11-30 and all was sweet, almost.

I have not put the cassette on properly, the large cassette 30,27,24 come together, they seem to have left and right movement, I will take it off and try once again.
  • jpower
    Movement sorted was my bad fitting. The 30 is hitting the rear cage, I assume just tighten the B screw? Anything else required?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Shouldn't be any problems as the GS derailleur has been used with a 40 tooth rear in some YouTube vids! Adjust the B screw and all should be fine.

https://youtu.be/roUXWvAN-9k
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jpower
    Thank you will do at playtime tomorrow
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Am running a 11-34 on a ss 8050 in syncro shift without any problems although did adjust via the app to drop to the small front 1 shift earlier to play safe..
  • jpower
    Good to know