Garmin Vector 2 or 3S?

bobones
bobones Posts: 1,215
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Given the choice of dual sided Vector 2 or single sided 3S for the same £499 price, what do you think is the best buy? This will be my first power meter, and I want to use it with the Xert training system.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Be wary of the vector 3 pedals at the moment.
    Garmin are redesigning the battery compartment door due to issues (signal drops, inconsistent data, battery drain etc). They are apparently just starting to ship the updated battery doors so i would wait until there is feedback on these, and if the problem is solved, before you buy.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,933
    Yep I read some reviews about the 3, and disappointed to see issues, so plumped for a second pair of Vector 2's.

I've had no issue with my existing pair.

Tuther week they could be had for £442, as BC discount applies on CRC (Why can't we use it at Wiggle?!) and TCB cashback.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobones
    OK, thanks. I'm not keen on the look of the pods so I'm siding toward the 3S option. My LBS has stock of the 3S but these will be with the original battery holders; however, I am sure I can get the new ones from Garmin support if needs be. I don't think I need the fancy pedalling dynamics stuff and my 510 computer doesn't support it anyway, but in time, I can upgrade to dual sided system if I feel the need.
  • redvision
    bobones wrote:
    OK, thanks. I'm not keen on the look of the pods so I'm siding toward the 3S option. My LBS has stock of the 3S but these will be with the original battery holders; however, I am sure I can get the new ones from Garmin support if needs be. I don't think I need the fancy pedalling dynamics stuff and my 510 computer doesn't support it anyway, but in time, I can upgrade to dual sided system if I feel the need.

I know you aren't keen on the pods but have a look at the favero assioma duo. At the moment it's the best pedal power meter.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    redvision wrote:
    Garmin are redesigning the battery compartment door due to issues (signal drops, inconsistent data, battery drain etc). They are apparently just starting to ship the updated battery doors

Got a link to back this up?
  • redvision
    redvision wrote:
    Garmin are redesigning the battery compartment door due to issues (signal drops, inconsistent data, battery drain etc). They are apparently just starting to ship the updated battery doors

Got a link to back this up?

Check the comments on garmin forum and also on dc rainmaker page (from end of May comments)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/gar ... eview.html
  • papajimbo
    papajimbo Posts: 61
    I had the Garmin Vector 3 dual sided. Endless issues with dropped connections, inconsistent data etc so sent them back and opted for full refund. There are reliability issues with Vector 2 as well and my Vector 1s were a disaster. I’ve opted for Quarq now but suggest Vectors are not the best pedal based option at the moment.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    You will struggle to find any Garmin 3S at the moment as they are on back order to fix the battery compartment issue.

I have a pair awaiting change over. When they worked (before first battery change) they were A1 and look great.

The Assioma pedals are ugly as sin. You'd be as well wearing Ugg boots on flatties :-)!
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    The Garmin V3's are arguable the best looking of the pedal based power meters. Certainly a big improvement with removing the pods, just a shame they didn't get everything right. Really no excuse for that in a third gen product.

The Favero pedals may be "ugly" but you can't see them once clipped in! ;-)
  • bobones
    Ajkerr73 wrote:
    You will struggle to find any Garmin 3S at the moment as they are on back order to fix the battery compartment issue.

I have a pair awaiting change over. When they worked (before first battery change) they were A1 and look great.

The Assioma pedals are ugly as sin. You'd be as well wearing Ugg boots on flatties :-)!

How they look is definitely an important consideration for me, so that's why I've opted for the 3S over the Vector 2 or Assioma. I picked them up from my LBS this morning, fitted them to my trainer bike in the office gym, updated the firmware, and have done a trial run with Zwift. I know I've got the original design battery holder, but I'll put in a request to Garmin support for the new one.

I'm particularly happy that the Vectors seem to closely track the power readings from my Tacx Vortex, which proves that the Vortex is much more accurate than I hoped. For example, I did Emily's Short Mix with 3 interval targets of 225, 265, and 305 watts which the Vortex holds in ERG mode, and in the same intervals the averages reported by the Vector are 230, 267 and 303! I'll be interested to see if my other Vortex in my garage is as close.

I'm now embarking on a trial with the Xert system and looking forward to using the pedals out on the road.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Personally I would go double sided whatever the system (I am still deciding what to buy myself).

I know from using a wattbike that my L/R balance is generally 48/52 or 47/53.

So riding at 100w total, if perfectly balanced single side would read 50, double to 100 and everything is great.

But at 48/52, it is going to either double the 48 to 96 or double the 52 to 104.

When I'm buying a PM with 1-2% accuracy it seems a bit daft to then introduce several additional % points of inaccuracy into the mix.

I suppose you could be very well balanced, or be mainly concerned by consistency, in which case single sided is going to be fine, but these are my thoughts on the subject.
  • bobones
    Grahamcp wrote:
    Personally I would go double sided whatever the system (I am still deciding what to buy myself).

I know from using a wattbike that my L/R balance is generally 48/52 or 47/53.

So riding at 100w total, if perfectly balanced single side would read 50, double to 100 and everything is great.

But at 48/52, it is going to either double the 48 to 96 or double the 52 to 104.

When I'm buying a PM with 1-2% accuracy it seems a bit daft to then introduce several additional % points of inaccuracy into the mix.

I suppose you could be very well balanced, or be mainly concerned by consistency, in which case single sided is going to be fine, but these are my thoughts on the subject.
    I understand that, and I can see me eventually buying the right pedal and a new head unit, but as my first proper PM, I am happy to live with the compromises of single sided.
  • grahamcp
    Fair enough, it is good that you can upgrade to double sided when you feel like it. On that basis I'd probably go for the 3S. I think if you buy from Evans you can get BC discount (maybe) plus quidco - and some employers include them in their voucher purchase scheme, worth checking out if you have one.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    bobones wrote:
    I'm now embarking on a trial with the Xert system and looking forward to using the pedals out on the road.
    If you have a compatible Garmin, download "What's My FTP?" from the IQ store. It's pretty nifty.
  • grahamcp
    Just noticed that the availability of the Vectors (on the Evans website) is now into July (sure it said mid June previously). Sigma say end of June. Hope they are worth the wait, I'm getting more tempted by the Favero's even though I wouldn't be able to get much of a discount on them.
  • bobones
    bobones wrote:
    If you have a compatible Garmin, download "What's My FTP?" from the IQ store. It's pretty nifty.
    Unfortunately my 510 doesn't support Connect IQ so I am thinking about upgrading to either a 520 plus or an 820, but that seems to be another minefield ...
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    redvision wrote:
    Be wary of the vector 3 pedals at the moment.
    Garmin are redesigning the battery compartment door due to issues (signal drops, inconsistent data, battery drain etc). They are apparently just starting to ship the updated battery doors so i would wait until there is feedback on these, and if the problem is solved, before you buy.

I got my pedals through a week or so ago, having drop out issues on the right pedal (for dual sided Vector 3)
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    bobones wrote:
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

How they look is definitely an important consideration for me, so that's why I've opted for the 3S over the Vector 2 or Assioma. I picked them up from my LBS this morning, fitted them to my trainer bike in the office gym, updated the firmware, and have done a trial run with Zwift. I know I've got the original design battery holder, but I'll put in a request to Garmin support for the new one.

I'm particularly happy that the Vectors seem to closely track the power readings from my Tacx Vortex, which proves that the Vortex is much more accurate than I hoped. For example, I did Emily's Short Mix with 3 interval targets of 225, 265, and 305 watts which the Vortex holds in ERG mode, and in the same intervals the averages reported by the Vector are 230, 267 and 303! I'll be interested to see if my other Vortex in my garage is as close.

If only it was as simple as asking for a new battery insert!

Garmin US seem to be doing that (according to some posts on DC R site)

Garmin UK are changing entire set of pedals at minimum 8 weeks wait.