Cassette issues

Specialroad
Specialroad Posts: 5
edited June 2018 in Road general
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help here i have a Shimano 9 speed cassette running 12/27 & i was wondering what can i put on to make those ever steep hills a little easier?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    short cage mech will go to 28 then throw on a compact chainset on the front.

or 9 speed mtb mech and the world is your oyster.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,426
    New bike.

Happy to help.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You might get a 32T cassette on there using a Alpe D'Huez Road Fairy.

I said *might*, it works for me, just.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    more detail essential for a reply

what sort of gear system ? road or mtb , what manufacturer and groupset/s , long cage or short or medium cage rear derailleur, what size chainrings, how many , and you might need a longer chain . would you tolerate not being able to use biggest chainring with biggest rear cog? which might not be possible if you have a big rear cog, but there was a time when nobody would do that anyway .
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    priory wrote:

what sort of gear system ? road or mtb , what manufacturer and groupset/s , long cage or short or medium cage rear derailleur, what size chainrings, how many , and you might need a longer chain . would you tolerate not being able to use biggest chainring with biggest rear cog? which might not be possible if you have a big rear cog, but there was a time when nobody would do that anyway .

replies above have everything he needs.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • priory wrote:

• priory wrote:

The bike is a specialized Allez sport 9 speed sora groupset on with a two chainring upfront, unsure of size though... I wouldn’t tolerate using the outer ring whilst on biggest cog
  • Orkneylad
    Orkneylad Posts: 104
    priory wrote:

The bike is a specialized Allez sport 9 speed sora groupset on with a two chainring upfront, unsure of size though... I wouldn’t tolerate using the outer ring whilst on biggest cog

The number of teeth is written on the chainring. If it's a 34T already then it's just a case of rule 5.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,951
    priory wrote:

What you would choose to tolerate and the combination that you may end up in by accident are not necessarily exclusive.
    I know from personal experience and it didn’t end well.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • priory
    mf might be right . A long cage rear mech can be had for £15 that probably would allow you to try a 11 to 32 or 34 cassette. But having done a lot of this in the past I have found that sometimes you can get problems with the chain rubbing on the road groupset front mech and I could not say for sure whether this would happen in your case. Perhaps someone here has tried that exact set-up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Altu ... SwSzRZTOcR

This week i replaced a very old mech on a 1979 road bike frame with one of these. There is a 7speed 11 to 32 cassette and 48/38 chainwheels and the front mech is RX100 which was a standard 7speed road mech in the nineties. My shifters are 7speed RX100 , made of steel to last. I thought they had worn out but it was just the rear-mech spring that had gone floppy.

So this bodes well for you. I still could not guarantee the front mech situation because mine is band-on which allows more positioning leeway and i am the sort that would twist it about or even bend it if necessary and I cannot remember if i did.

You would also have to budget for a cassette and probably mtb length of chain. It should be a very easy job to do. You would need allen keys , chain-breaker, small screwdriver for the adjuster screws, grease, bike oil, lock-ring key and big spanner.

It is possible that even a short-cage rear mech would cope with a 30tooth rear cog , but it is not designed to.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

• priory
    road fairy interesting , I have not heard of that. More expensive than Altus rear mech .

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    priory wrote:
    road fairy interesting , I have not heard of that. More expensive than Altus rear mech .

Put it on my Rourke with 2012 Super Record, so can fit the Potenza 11-32 cassette. There's just enough chain take-up, however changing up gears isn't as smooth especially on the smaller cogs due to the increased distance between upper jockey wheel and sprockets.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava