9 Speed Groupset and Carbon Wheels

Mebbage
Mebbage Posts: 3
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Hi All

I'm currently riding a Cannondale Caad8 running 9-speed Sora and I'm looking to upgrade the wheels. I've got Mavic Aksium's on there at the moment which are fine for general riding/winter miles, but I'm keen to upgrade to some affordable carbon wheels...ideally some Mavic Cosmic Carbon's.

My question is this: will I be able to get a 9-speed cassette/freehub on those wheels, or will they only work with a 10/11-speed groupset?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Absolutely no problem with 11sp wheels.

Obviously make sure they are a Shimano freehub first of all. If they are an older/used set and 10 speed only, just put your 9 speed cassette on as usual.

if they are a brand new set which are designed for 11 speed as well, they come with a small (5mm or so) spacer which is used if you are running 8 / 9 / 10 speed and goes on before the cassette. Slide that on then put your 9 speed cassette on as usual.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    9 speed groupos with Carbon hoops isn’t a popular choice, but there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    9 speed groupos with Carbon hoops isn’t a popular choice, but there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work.

rubbish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    will work perfect - a wheel is a wheel. 9, 10, 11, 12 speed doesn't matter. a wheel is a wheel.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Mebbage wrote:
    Hi All

I'm currently riding a Cannondale Caad8 running 9-speed Sora and I'm looking to upgrade the wheels. I've got Mavic Aksium's on there at the moment which are fine for general riding/winter miles, but I'm keen to upgrade to some affordable carbon wheels...ideally some Mavic Cosmic Carbon's.

My question is this: will I be able to get a 9-speed cassette/freehub on those wheels, or will they only work with a 10/11-speed groupset?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Of course for the price you could buy an entire new bike and with the budget and equipment improvements youd go faster anyway.......
  • shirley_basso
    What's wrong with the Caad 8 that makes it slow? It's probably just as aero as a Supersix.

Why is Sora 9 speed slower than, say Dura-Ace 9 speed or 11 speed Dura-Ace?
  • milemuncher1

rubbish.

I’m guessing you’re just trying to bait me, you’re a master at it.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351

rubbish.

Lets be honest you are both master baiters.
  • shirley_basso
    imafatman wrote:
    Lets be honest you are both master baiters.

Very good.
  • milemuncher1
    What's wrong with the Caad 8 that makes it slow? It's probably just as aero as a Supersix.

88EdrJE.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Any wheelset with a Shimano pattern freehub will take your 9 speed cassette. You may need a spacer but they are cheap enough or should come with the wheels if buying new.

Ignore MM, seems he's popped out from under his bridge in search of a goat...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Take a look at thecycleclinic.co.uk for some good wheel options. Hand built, reasonably priced, owner posts on here too.

I have a set of his 50mm deep carbon tubeless wheels.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Mebbage
    Mebbage Posts: 3
    drlodge wrote:
    Take a look at thecycleclinic.co.uk for some good wheel options. Hand built, reasonably priced, owner posts on here too.

I have a set of his 50mm deep carbon tubeless wheels.

Thanks a lot for this, I'll check them out.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

Weight, lots of it, and performance of every part.
  • shirley_basso
    I disagree. A Caad 8 with a well maintained drivetrain and a nice set of wheels will be plenty fast.

I can't think why a bike weighing a couple of kg above the UCI minimum constitutes 'lots of weight', which would likely come down with the proposed wheels anyway.

Performance of shifting doesn't impact real world speed in any noticeable way for any non-racing cyclist.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There's some thinly veiled snobbery here about Sora. Not so long ago Dura-Ace was 9 speed. It's rarely about the bike. The cyclists I'm envious of are the ones who appear to be going twice as fast as me with apparently half the effort.
  • Matthewfalle

88EdrJE.jpg

yet again, tripe trom MM.

MF is shaking his head slowly and I and I agree with the look on his face.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited June 2018

rubbish.

nope - not at all. i and I have planet x carbons on our 9 speed holiday home bikes ( both have d/a and ultegra mix though).

Remember that Dirk has carbons as well. MF approves of this.

absoloute rubbish to say can't/shouldn't go carbon and 9 speed.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    In fairness, it's probably not popular as 9 speed is quite old and carbon wheels for the masses is a relatively new thing, but definitely not a bad thing and no reason why you shouldn't.
  • Matthewfalle
    Probably more out there running Chinese wheels than we all think. Cheap upgrade for a bike you've had for years that owes you nothing and you just really like riding.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • milemuncher1

absoloute rubbish to say can't/shouldn't go carbon and 9 speed.

I didn’t.
  • milemuncher1
    keef66 wrote:
    There's some thinly veiled snobbery here about Sora. Not so long ago Dura-Ace was 9 speed. It's rarely about the bike. The cyclists I'm envious of are the ones who appear to be going twice as fast as me with apparently half the effort.

Nothing wrong with 9 speed Sora, the bits are incredibly cheap, and it works.