Mountain Bike or Hybrid Bike?

OscarTheNoob
OscarTheNoob Posts: 5
edited June 2018 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I am a complete noob to the mountain biking scene, but I have visited a few trails on my old bike, which is much too small for me and definitely doesnt suite my needs. I still enjoyed them, and I feel I could benefit from a better bike. I plan to ride lots of mountain bike trails, with a little bit of road as well. My budjet is ideally below £300. Riding to school, which is my main journey, includes a strech of road, and some light woodland paths. For all of this, I think I would be best off with a mountain bike orientated hybrid- such as the Btwin riverside 500. I’d like to know whether I should go for this, or a proper mountain bike that might perform poorly on the road. I am completely open for suggestions.
Cheers,
Oscar

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't say how much road, but a mountain bike is more fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 4 kilometers on that ride, but potentially much more if I had a bike capable of it. My mum is also very enthusiastic about a family cycling holiday, so ideally I would like it to accept a pannier rack if easily possible.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Within reason, I decided that if you're only getting one bike you need to find the lowest common denominator in terms of how rough the terrain will be and buy a bike that can handle that. Though WITHIN REASON!!

A hard tail MTB can be "quite" light, fitted with smooth rolling tyres to make road riding easier and still handle trail centre MTB riding with ease. And if you are a newbie a) you'll not know what you're missing in terms of using a MTB on the road so it doesn't really matter if it is harder than it could be and b) any MTB with entry level acceptable components will more than keep up with you off-road.

If you can stretch to closer to £300 than £200 the Rockrider 520 is fine though not as well specced as it used to be.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • That's cool. What about a Carrera vengeance? They are currently reduced to £264 in the sale and come with kenda tires and a suntour fork with more travel then the 520. Would that be better?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a similar bike overall - both are good for around 260-270 and sound fine for what you intend.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are currently reduced to £264 in the sale
    Not really, more at the price they should be anyway not the over inflated 'price' they don't actually expect to sell many at!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok, I think I will go for a vengeance as there is a halfords just down the road. Thanks for your help.