Optimal tyre width for a tubular

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited June 2018 in Road general
Hi Guys,

So I have a 20mm tubular wheelset running 22mm tubular tyres. I’d like to know what is the optimal tyre width for these rims? I know that wider tyres are better on clincher rims, but some people say that tyre width doesn’t matter on tubular wheels. Any idea?

Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hasn't stopped the pro peloton running wider widths. When I had tubulars I ran 25mm tubs.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,625
    if the rims are deep, i'd stick to 21-22mm

going wider gives a lightbulb shaped profile which is poor aerodynamically, increases drag and it also can make the wheel 'catch' as yaw angle shifts, on mine even a 23mm tub on the front makes a noticeable difference (for the worse)

if drag isn't a factor, then it really comes down to how the tub fits the rim bed profile, up to 25mm you'll probably be ok, as you go wider you may find the glue sticking well at the edges but not the centre

fwiw with my 20mm rims (which are deep) i prefer 21/22mm front, 23mm rear, using 25mm on the rear feels just a bit squishy when cornering hard
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mtbrider123
    sungod wrote:

going wider gives a lightbulb shaped profile which is poor aerodynamically, increases drag and it also can make the wheel 'catch' as yaw angle shifts, on mine even a 23mm tub on the front makes a noticeable difference (for the worse)

if drag isn't a factor, then it really comes down to how the tub fits the rim bed profile, up to 25mm you'll probably be ok, as you go wider you may find the glue sticking well at the edges but not the centre

fwiw with my 20mm rims (which are deep) i prefer 21/22mm front, 23mm rear, using 25mm on the rear feels just a bit squishy when cornering hard

Yes, my wheels are deep - 47.5mm. So by the sound of it I should keep the 22mm tubs. 23 doesn’t exist for the continental competition, so 22 at the front and back is the best option, right?

Thanks
  • sungod
    the front is where matching makes a significant difference

the rear doesn't matter so much - it doesn't create any significant steering forces and the air hitting it is already turbulent

i've used the 22mm comps front/rear, if you like them then i'd stick with that

using a wider rear does allow it to be run at lower pressure than a thin one, which is slightly comfier, and wear rate is a bit lower (assuming overall same construction)

fwiw i use veloflex sprinter front and criterium rear, they give a nicer ride than the conti comps (and are way easier to mount!)
  • mtbrider123
    sungod wrote:
    the front is where matching makes a significant difference

the rear doesn't matter so much - it doesn't create any significant steering forces and the air hitting it is already turbulent

i've used the 22mm comps front/rear, if you like them then i'd stick with that

using a wider rear does allow it to be run at lower pressure than a thin one, which is slightly comfier, and wear rate is a bit lower (assuming overall same construction)

fwiw i use veloflex sprinter front and criterium rear, they give a nicer ride than the conti comps (and are way easier to mount!)

Thank you for your reply. So if I was to change the rear, should I go for a 23 or a 25 & keep the 22 at the front?
  • sungod
    22 at front for sure

rear makes less difference, there're also aesthetic considerations! if you want to stick with comps then for the rear it's 22 or 25
  • mtbrider123
    sungod wrote:
    22 at front for sure

rear makes less difference, there're also aesthetic considerations! if you want to stick with comps then for the rear it's 22 or 25

Perfect, thanks!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    sungod wrote:

going wider gives a lightbulb shaped profile which is poor aerodynamically, increases drag and it also can make the wheel 'catch' as yaw angle shifts, on mine even a 23mm tub on the front makes a noticeable difference

That might be true for older style deep section wheels, but with the introduction of wider aero rims from the likes of Zipp, they advise 23 to 25, with the latter giving a better ‘teardrop’ profile. Now that all the brands have gone fat, a 25mm tub is the go to.

With Vittoria no longer making the superb 24mm Corsa SR (boo) you won’t see many Pro teams going under 25mm.
  • sungod
    That might be true for older style deep section wheels, but with the introduction of wider aero rims from the likes of Zipp, they advise 23 to 25, with the latter giving a better ‘teardrop’ profile. Now that all the brands have gone fat, a 25mm tub is the go to.
    yes, but this thread is about 20mm wide deep rims

zipp 303 is a similar depth, the tub version is over 26mm wide at the brake tracks and the rim bulges to 28mm, hence much wider tyres
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Yes, my wheels are deep - 47.5mm. So by the sound of it I should keep the 22mm tubs. 23 doesn’t exist for the continental competition, so 22 at the front and back is the best option, right?

Thanks

Corima?

I've currently got FFWD F6R which are 22.4mm wide with 25mm Corsa G+ tubs on and feel they're a bit wide actually, I previously had 303s with 25mm which worked much better. Think I'll go down to 23mm next time.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • mtbrider123
    Matt_N wrote:

Thanks

Corima?

I've currently got FFWD F6R which are 22.4mm wide with 25mm Corsa G+ tubs on and feel they're a bit wide actually, I previously had 303s with 25mm which worked much better. Think I'll go down to 23mm next time.

Lightweight. I think 22 at the front and 23 on the rear or 22 on both look like the best options.
  • sungod
    Lightweight. I think 22 at the front and 23 on the rear or 22 on both look like the best options.
    me too, thought the depth/width sounded familiar!