Changing from x2 to x1 chainring. Very confused

Chriswinter96
Chriswinter96 Posts: 6
edited June 2018 in MTB beginners
I've got a 2018 voodoo minustor and I'm looking at changing it to a single chainring. Getting confused on what sort of chainring I would need for it. If anyone could help that would be amazing. Thanks!

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    A very easy answer would be to reccommend buying a superstar 104 BCD 34 tooth nw chainring and a Hope Bashguard ( a '38T' one that is to allow for using a bigger NW as you get fitter.

With that you would replace the inner ring with the nw and the outer with the bashguard utilising the same screws and get rid of the front mech.

Or do without the bashguard and put the nw in place of the outer and get rid of the front mech.

Or get rid of both the 22 and 36 T chainrings, and the front mech, and put said 34 NW on the outer but with shorter bolts - again from Superstar.

That is what I would do.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    In the case of triple chainset, the middle ring is retained thus keeping the chain line optimum.

With a double ring chainset, then replacing either results in a non symmetrical chain line, thy may affect shifting, but then again may not.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ...which is addressed by removing a spacer from the drive side BB.

Note - you should be able to replace the chainrings by removing the drive side pedal only. You will need two fairly hefty flat screwdrivers and a first aid kit. For the bb spacer removal it is easy but you will need to look up utube to see how it is done.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I only ask because I only stay in one gear in the larger gear at the front and don't use the smaller one. I was considering removing the deurellier and putting on a chain guide but keeping the smaller gear on so it still runs even. Any ideas if that would work and if so what chain guide would you recommend that would fit?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    .............. Any ideas if that would work and if so what chain guide would you recommend that would fit?

Try this one:

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/cate ... -12-46125/

They work on 1x, 2x and 3x.

You can get much cheaper ones like the RSP Chain Directror for about £14 and in my experience they look identical, work just as well and last just as long.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Chain-Dire ... kMEALw_wcB

They also stop the chain from rattling on your chain stay.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    A choice of what has been suggested.

Your bike is 2x9 with 22/36 up front, so if you only use the bigger ring, you could got for a 36T NW (narrow wide) chainring and remove the smaller ring.

The NW is used on 1x set-ups as there is no front derailluer to keep the chain in place, so the NW chain ring is designed to help stop the chain trying to jump off. I have the Superstar ones, although Uberbike have had some on offer for about £15.

Ther chain guide can also help. I use the RSR one and it works fine. Tends to wear out and need replacing every 12 months.

So - yes, you can remove the smaller cog and derailleur and might need to just check the chainline, although it shouldn't be too bad.
    "Ride, crash, replace"