Anyone else get problems with pedals?

JTUK
JTUK Posts: 67
edited June 2018 in Workshop
Specifically I have been using Shimano SPD-SL 105 Pedals. Got a clicking noise last week when pushing down on left pedal. Swapping pedals with my spare bike, which solved that issue. New BB was fitted in March.

These pedals were new last September as I had same issue with the last pair and I think this is third time in four years, as first set of pedals also had to go back under warranty. Bearings faulty each time. I noticed a bit of grease coming out of the axle shortly after fitting, but did not notice any issues after wiping this away. Could also maybe have something to do with the way I cycle? I like to get out of the saddle and torque a lot when riding up hills. This seems to put a lot of pressure on the drive chain and components.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I never have any trouble with Shimano pedals. They are really good. Don't know whether you have serviced them to get rid of the clicking noise or whether you are a fit and forget cyclist. That noise, in my experience, is probably when a little bit of play has developed in the adjustable bearings.

It's simple to service these pedals so they run like new again. You undo the axle locking nut, pull out the bearing cartridge assembly, adjust out play if necessary, fill cavity with grease and screw it all back up. Grease appearing on axle once screwed up is a sign it is all greased fully.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Had a problem with the bearings once, but as MerciaMan says, they are pretty easy to service.

The only other problem I've had is with the carbon composite body ones (mine were ultegra, but I think 105 use this now too). After 1yr of commuting I'd worn out the front retainment part - less than 1mm remaining and it was flexing under load until it eventually cracked and disengaged the cleat. Never thought to check this, but the only tell tale sign was excessive cleat float - regardless of pedal tension or cleat.
  • JTUK
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I never have any trouble with Shimano pedals. They are really good. Don't know whether you have serviced them to get rid of the clicking noise or whether you are a fit and forget cyclist. That noise, in my experience, is probably when a little bit of play has developed in the adjustable bearings.

It's simple to service these pedals so they run like new again. You undo the axle locking nut, pull out the bearing cartridge assembly, adjust out play if necessary, fill cavity with grease and screw it all back up. Grease appearing on axle once screwed up is a sign it is all greased fully.

That’s odd, I didn’t think that these were serviceable. I’ll need to do a bit more investigating.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    All Shimano pedals are serviceable. Few things more satisfying than screwing them back together and watching the old, mucky grease being squirted out through the bearings.

But generally they are fit and forget. I have some fully functional SPDs that are 15 years old and they've only been serviced once
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Sounds like you never maintained them properly. That clicking is probably bearing play on the axle.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    consumable items
  • JTUK
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Sounds like you never maintained them properly. That clicking is probably bearing play on the axle.

Should they need service so soon after purchase? I bought new pedals in September 2017 and fitted to my summer bike. I then stopped riding this around November and used my other bike up until about April, so they have not had an exceptional amount of wear or even a particularly hard life (I try to avoid bad weather on the summer bike, that's what my winter hack is for).

The only thing I was thinking was that I clip in and out with left foot at traffic lights and this seems to be the side that has been causing an issue.

I sent them back to Wiggle. Took them a while to reply but they have now come back to me and they are sending back to the manufacturer. It may take them a further month to get back to me.

With the old type pedals you need a special tool, which I don't have. I had a spare pair so have fitted them. They seem a bit rough. The new ones only require a spanner, so next time I will try servicing, but I wasn't expecting issues with new pedals that have only had six months of use.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've only serviced pedals after several years riding. Something of 105 quality should definitely not be failing as soon as yours have.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I’ve had issues with the body of the pedal warping on my carbon body 105 pedals. This manifests itself as one of the pedals ( usually the left one ) starting to feel like the bearings have seized, and it won’t move freely. It’s usually a case of backing the axle out of the body by a quarter of a turn, which isn’t a major issue.