Any direct-buy brands with good service?

JonnyManc
JonnyManc Posts: 5
edited June 2018 in MTB buying advice
Guys

I'm in the market for a new full sus in the coming months and am impressed by offerings frm the likes of Bird, Vitus, Canyon , YT etc....but hugely concerned by their reputation when it comes to service!?
Parts is not really an issue (I have faith that my LBS will help me) but the frame.....lots of potential issues and I want to make sure I can get good aftermarket service.

I know its a bit paranoid, but £3000 is too much money to invest without asking.....

Thanks
Saracen Mantra 1 Owner

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For service, Bird without a doubt. You're dealing directly with the owners and they are good guys.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    Out of those 4 there are 3 different levels of 'direct'.

Bird at the top are direct only by way of them not selling through shops. You can visit the factory, pick up your bike, go and demo one directly and speak to the guys who design and build the bikes.

Vitus are sold through CRC and overall I've found their customer service to be excellent, they're on chat and or phone (I think!). Also they're UK based.

Canyon and YT are both German based direct sellers so if you do need to get the bike back to them I'd think they're would be the most hassle, but I've not experienced them at all.

Some of the other non-direct brands are starting to match (or beat) the direct brands for value, Cube for instance.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Can’t fault YT. Ordered on a Fri, arrived the next Fri. Very minor issue, €40 voucher. I’m on a few YT Facebook groups and no issues, always get back to me the same day if I email them.

Sure they have their problems, budget for a new bottom bracket as the pushfit ones are s***e, but that’s not necessarily a YT problem.

Had some good dealings with Bird, they are direct sell but they have a base and shop in Swinley where you can go and speak to them and try bikes (£10 for a demo for while day - worth it just for a day on one of their bikes!).

Canyon on the other hand, mate has had a nightmare with them, virtually impossible to get hold of.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    YT were silent when I was awaiting delivery. No info, nobody answering the phone, or the emails. But the bike arrived only a few days late. Since then the bike has been perfect, no issues at all. But that means that I haven't had the opportunity to check out their after sales service. The bike was fantastic value for money, the cost saving has to come from somewhere.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Bird have been great for me. I bought a second hand Zero frame and called them to ask about transferring the warranty and building the bike up and they were really helpful. I have contacted them a few times since building the bike and they have always been very helpful and certainly know their stuff.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Another vote for Bird. They guys build bikes to your spec, it’s a no brainier! Bloody incredible bikes too.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two