Newbie. Looking for advice

Superbobu2
Superbobu2 Posts: 2
I've mountain biked for a few years and I'm looking at building a road bike trainer for indoor ride during winter and rainy days. And we have gotten a ton of rain last couple of years.
My goals are to have a smart trainer that I assume I will use zwift on.
I'd like some VR courses, maybe group rides or races, and also download and ride on famous places like the Alps or Tour de France.
I have a bike bought, Cervelo carbon, also a Ipad 12in that I want to run the app on and see the courses on the screen. I read that I might have to buy an adapter in order to get the ipad to work with ANT+ FE-C

Currently I'm looking at a tacx ironman smart trainer. It seems to have everything I'm looking for. The person I am buying from used the TAcx software instead of zwift

So will I be able to use either? Am I on the right track here? I don't want to spend $100s and then not be happy about the training I'm able to do.

Would appreciate some opinions please.
Was also looking at Wahoo Kickr Snap. That seemed like a really good one too but guy hasn't gotten back to me

thank you

Comments

• MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Yes, the TACX Ironman is capable of full smart-control for Zwift. I've never come across anyone who has used one personally so can't comment there. The KICKR SNAP is a rock solid unit and virtually bomb proof. If you can get your hands on that, I'd bet on it being the better trainer.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can save yourself hundreds by not getting a smart trainer. You can adjust resistance yourself with the gears.

I reckon most turbos get very light use so a second hand one could be an idea.

Check out zwift. Plenty of info about it - it's not everything you want but it is good.