Is this second hand bike worth its price?

ruedi007
ruedi007 Posts: 2
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello!

I am thinking about buying a bike I found online. I by myself have a Velotraum and I am very satisfied with it.

Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 gripshift
Brakes: Avid 185 mm disc mechanic
Handlebar: Ergotec AL 6061 T6
Knob: Ergon GP1
Sputnik Rigida 26“ rim and Chris King Center, bottom: Chris King
Shimano Deore XT 1x 175 mm, 1x 170mm; FSA 40 Headset: Chris King
Sattel: Brooks
Rack: Tubus
Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 26x2.00

I am german so I translated the specifications for you. You can find the add with fotos here:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... -217-13527

You can see at the picture with the roloff that there is a little dent in the frame and a bit rust.

I am not sure if I should pay 1600 Euros ~ 1850 Dollar. The guy said that he paid 5000 for it 8 years ago and the condition is (as far as I can see) good.

What do you think about it. I would really really appreciate your opinion.

best regards,
rüdi

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    1600 Euros could be a lot of money to spend on any bike - or it could be "change" in your wallet.

It doesn't matter what the bloke paid for it years ago - all that matters is what you intend to do with it, is it suitable and if you wanted to buy a suitable bike new now - then what would that cost in comparison. Then you need to weigh that up with lack of after care (no warranties on S/H kit.) and decide if it's the right bike for you.

Without looking in detail - you've shown us a flat bar touring bike. Is it worth 1600 euros? Not if you want to go and join in club runs - it's totally the wrong bike - but if you wanted to do extended self supported rides then it could be the right bike - at which point you need to compare how that fits against the alternatives.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's quite a niche bike. I expect they hold their value better than normal bikes.