Installing chain guard with Praxis BB30

Whatmuff
Whatmuff Posts: 3
edited June 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Good Afternoon

I'm installing a 13 chain guard to a Cannondale Jekyll with ICSG old fitting and using a Praxis BB GXP. The chain guard doesn't fit over the BB but goes behind which has extended the width of the BB so it's wider than 73mm now. Will this work? Or does the Praxis BB need to be tight to the frame on both sides, or will the SRAM crank tighten to what ever width the BB is? Any help would be great.

Many thanks

Dan

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doesn't sound like an ISCG mount chain guide (not guard!) but a BB mount chain guide!

There is usually 'just' enough to get away with on a BB but there MUST be a gap between the drive side crank inner face and BB or you are preloading the bearings (probably too much....).

You could get the BB faced back enough to accomodate.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Whatmuff
    Whatmuff Posts: 3
    Great stuff many thanks. It's got holes for the ISCG mounts but the hole in the centre is just under the external bottom Bracket, so I'll see what the crank looks like when fitted and see if there is enough clearance. If not I'll get the grinder out!