Chicago casual fitness rider--what type of bike?

Kinchi
Kinchi Posts: 21
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi! I bought a used Trek LEXA S a couple months ago as my first bike, and I don't love it for my purposes. Wondering if you could help me figure out what might suit me better.

I like to go for 1-2 hour (usually closer to 1 hour) rides by myself for exercise. I like to ride on the roads, where the north shore suburbs of Chicago are littered with cracks and potholes. I would like to be able to also ride on the crushed limestone paths, but I don't take my current bike on them because I've got 700x23 racing tires on it (just what the bike came with). So my main complaint with the bike is that I feel tense about hitting cracks, acorns, whatever when I'm riding on the road and my skinny tires. I think my current bike can accommodate new 25 but probably not 28 wide tires. I know that I should switch them up as wide as possible, but will 25 even be sufficient?

I also must confess I don't love the drop handlebars. I know people say that the varied positions is nice, but I spend most of my time in the hoods, and frankly, it's uncomfortable compared to a flat bar with nice ergon style grips or the isozone grips. I feel like the narrower handlebar width gives less control, if I were to hit a crack or something. I want to go fast, but I want to feel confident and safe. I like to check out houses and scenery while riding, not feel like I have to white knuckle my bike looking out for every imperfection in the road. Make sense?

So what would you do. I have a max budget of $900 (would be great to spend less). I was considering the Trek FX3 or Trek FX4. Or would you recommend just swapping out the tires on my current bike? Would that give me enough greater security on the bike to be able to enjoy the roads more? Any other ideas? Should I look into a gravel road bike instead, or stick with a flat bar road bike. Thanks!!

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Might be worth adding when you'll be riding this as Chicago has horrendous winters doesn't it? Not sure how you cope with 30oC to -15oC in the same year.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have a look on youtube for some Paris Roubaix or Strade Bianche footage and then you'll see what road bikes can cope with.

25mm are the narrowest I'd use now - you can use a lower pressure than the 23mm and you've better grip with more rubber down. I'd try that as a first option.

If you still find you're not happy then the hybrid bike might be for you. Only you can make that call really.

I'd not bother with the gravel bike as you say you're not keen on the drop bars anyway.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Tricky - as you've already got roughly what a lot of people would recommend.

You have broadly two options (i) modify your bike (ii) get a flat bar road or hybrid, specifically with some more clearance for wider tyres if that's what you want.

Option (i) is probably going to be cheaper. You could start just by visiting a local shop and seeing what tyres you can get on there, and how the bike feels with them at an appropriate pressure. 25c's will definitely help you, as will more supple tyres (chances are yours are very hard wearing). You might be surprised just by how much. 28c's even more so, if they fit.

There's also nothing in principle stopping you from getting flat bars, though you'd need to decide whether that would be worth it for that particular bike - as I'm guessing you'd want a shop mechanic to source and fit.

You needn't worry about riding a road bike on cinder tracks.