Second hand query, frame versus bits?

EunanOB
EunanOB Posts: 3
edited May 2018 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,
Newbie question, looking to buy an MTB, rather go as decent as I can 2nd hand than shiny new lower spec. Looking for some advice, as there’s a Kinesis Maxlight xc pro (Easton tubing) for sale that seems (for a novice) to have a decent spec (carbon sram xo rear mech and shifters, fsa carbon cranks, rock shox sid forks with lock out. Selle Italia slr lightweight saddle, Thomson elite seat post. Shimano XT tubeless wheelset with Maxxis Medusa tubeless tyres. FSA k-force carbon handle bars, new avid elixir 3 brakes, shimano xtr cassette.) The issue is that the frame is 2007, with the upgrades above fitted in 2014. So not sure if I should be focussing on frame or bits? They’re looking for £400 (pre-haggle). Other option is a fresh looking (2016) Carrera Kraken looking for £200 pre haggle.
Any thoughts or advice appreciated and all the best,

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    WTTF.

Interesting situation. On the face of it, the spec is certainly very good.

I went through something similar with my HT. Bought it brand new in 2006 (Spesh Stumpjumper) and then changed just about everything except the frame and forks in 2015. It's still going strong now and I love it.

The ONLY dowside is that is has an older, more upright geometry and the forks are `only` 90mm. It's great for general XC riding but not so keen on anything too DH. It was never designed for that so no really problem. I have a FS bike for the more fun stuff anyway. It may also be 3x9? Again, not the end of the world. 1x doesn't suit everyone and my HT is still 3x.

The spec you've listed in pretty top end - as long as it is in decent condition.

Things to consider:
    When were forks last serviced?
    Condition of chain/cassettee/chainring - wlil they need replacing
    Condition of hubs/bottom bracket/headset (will anything need replacing)

Tried to Google some reviews and is sounds promising. Don't think there are too many stock parts left on it.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category ... stom-9399/

If you want your first bike, just to get you out there and ride, it sounds reasonable. You obviously need to try it to see if it fits you and also check the overall condition of it.

It is seems okay, I reckon it's better than a newer, lower spec bike. Maybe haggle to £350?

If you don't want it, I might buy it for the parts!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • EunanOB
    EunanOB Posts: 3
    Thanks Billy,
    Really useful reply, I appreciate it. (Though what does WTTF stand for, got some 'interesting' results when I googled it...)
    I'll probably go and take a look at it and go with my gut.

Any view on it versus the Kraken?

Cheers, O'B
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Welcome To The Forum :lol:

The Kraken is a lower spec bike that is about £499 new.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/carrera-k ... -2016.html

It also weighs 14.8kg, which is heavy.

I can't see you having as much fun on it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    What size eheels

The trend is 29 so price of 26 inch wheel bikes has dropped..

400 sounds a lot for eleven year old bike, especially if it is 26.