Bottle cage loose

joe2008
joe2008 Posts: 1,531
edited May 2018 in Workshop
I've stripped the thread on the rivnut on my bottle cage. The rivet itself is still attached, it's not spinning, but the bolt won't tighten.

Any ideas?

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    If I've understood it correctly you could maybe try some thread tape? Usually for sealing plumbing threads
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    HaydenM wrote:
    If I've understood it correctly you could maybe try some thread tape? Usually for sealing plumbing threads

There's a good idea, thanks, my brother's a plumber. :)
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've used PTFE tape on a few sloppily threaded things to stop them loosening. Headset on my son's skip-salvaged Peugeot for instance. And lots of plumbing too.

Alternatively if it's meaty enough you could run a tap through it and go up to the next size bolt? Or drill it out and install a new rivnut. Bike shop should be able to do either quickly / cheaply.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Cut the head off the bolt with a dremel and gently knock the rivnut and remainder of bolt into the frame. Retrieve loose parts through head tube or bottom bracket. Pick up a new rivnut from LBS or eBay and set it using a bolt, nut and a couple of washers.