fitting a stages power metre 105?

seed
seed Posts: 4
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hello. I have some questions about power metre compatibility (which might sound quite silly, but I honestly don’t know much about it).

My bike has an FSA Omega Compact 46/36 crankset and Shimano CS5800 12/28 10x cassette. What exactly should I do to fit a Shimano 105 5700 Stages power metre?

To give you a bit more context, there’s another bike with 11x cassette, Shimano 105 50/34 170mm crankset and a left arm Stages power metre that I could potentially take out and move to my bike.

Would it make sense to swap the whole crankset, or is there some obvious compatibility issue that I’m ignoring? And would that require other components to also change, like the cassette etc?

Or is it easier to buy a Shimano 105 46/36 crankset and use that 105 left side power metre with it (making sure they’re both 170mm)?

I don’t mind my current 46/36 but I also wouldn’t mind trying 50/34, so I guess I’d go for the simplest most doable option?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    seed wrote:

My bike has an FSA Omega Compact 46/36 crankset and Shimano CS5800 12/28 10x cassette. What exactly should I do to fit a Shimano 105 5700 Stages power metre?

Fit a Shimano chainset..
  • seed
    Imposter wrote:
    seed wrote:

Fit a Shimano chainset..

Thank you, I got that far.

I was wondering if it makes more sense to buy a new 105 46/36 or use that 105 50/34 of which the power metre I'm talking about is part of. Considering I have a 46/36, I'm not sure what else would have to change if I go for a 50/34.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The Stages will fit any 105 chainset spindle, regardless of the size of the rings which are fitted. Gearing choice is largely down to what kind of riding you do..
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Are you saying you have a 105 50/34 chainset with Stages crank arm? If so, assuming the FSA is Mega Exo, move the bottom bracket and crank from the donor bike to the preferred bike. Check the chain length in big/big, you might need a link or two (or not) as you're going up from 46 to 50. No need to change anything else though do check your front derailleur adjustment after the crankset swap.

If you have another bike with Stages installed, why not just use that for training with a powermeter?
  • seed
    Awesome, thank you both.

I’ve been reading a bit about 46/36 vs 50/34 and I’m thinking to stick to 46/36, maybe go 46/34. But it’s good to know I can install a 50/34 without changing anything else other than adding an extra 2 chain links (possibly), in case I want to give that a go.

The other bike is too big in frame size for me to ride, so was thinking to transfer the power metre and train with my bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the other bike's too big just transfer the Shimano chainset and bottom bracket to your bike. (assuming both frames have the same kind of BB shell, and you have the tools / knowhow to remove both and refit the Shimano)

You may need a slightly longer chain, and you will probably have to move the front mech up a little bit to clear the 50t chainring, which will also mean faffing with the cable.