Chainstay crack or just paint?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited June 2018 in Workshop
So tonight's ride wasn't the best. Half way around the 50 mile route the rear wheel started making cracking noises, followed by becoming quite resistant, although worked wonders for power training :lol:
Anyway when I got home I looked at it and i think the hub has had it.

More worrying though, as I was cleaning the bike I also noticed this on the chainstay

cVCnE98.jpg

The bike is aluminium (apart from the forks) so I'm hoping it's just a paint crack, probably from the chippings (sorry, road surface dressing) which seems to be on just about every road at the moment.

Anyway would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    redvision wrote:
    So tonight's ride wasn't the best. Half way around the 50 mile route the rear wheel started making cracking noises, followed by becoming quite resistant, although worked wonders for power training :lol:
    Anyway when I got home I looked at it and i think the hub has had it.

More worrying though, as I was cleaning the bike I also noticed this on the chainstay

The bike is aluminium (apart from the forks) so I'm hoping it's just a paint crack, probably from the chippings (sorry, road surface dressing) which seems to be on just about every road at the moment.

Anyway would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks
    Just paintcrack because the 'flex' in the aluminium chainstay.
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • pedropete
    pedropete Posts: 227
    Measure it and keep an eye on it. If it gets longer or spiders significantly then it's time to sand the paint back and have a look. If it turns out to be okay you can always get an auto sprayer to mix up a small colour sample for you to cover it over.
  • redvision
    Cheers for the comments.

It's with the LBS who, as usual, have been brilliant and are dealing with the warranty claim.

They are fairly confident it is a fracture in the chainstay, even though it's in a strange place really for such a crack.
    Just got to wait and see if the frame manufacturer agree and cover it under warranty.
  • redvision
    Just an update.
    Confirmed as a fracture if the chainstay and frame has been replaced under warranty.