Wheelset upgrade for a TCR Advanced 2?

devonbiker1
devonbiker1 Posts: 6
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have decided to buy a Giant TCR Advanced 2 (orange) and will be looking to swap the stock PR2 wheelset over with something lighter, and looking for options with a budget of around £500-700. I want to stick with tubeless.

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/giant-tcr-advanced-2-review-51915/

I am currently looking at Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST. I believe these are around 1520g so around 400g lighter than the stock Giant wheels. Would this provide a tangible performance upgrade on hill climbs?

If I get these, should I keep the 25mm Yksion Pro tyres that come with it or are there better tubeless tyres around which won't break the bank?

Open to other suggestions, possibly slightly deeper rims to enhance the overall look of the bike and for aero gains?

Comments

• galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    There's some Giant carbon wheels on Ebay, brand new, for £500ish same as you get on the TCR Advanced Pro ranges.
    Enjoying mine on my Pro 1.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Galatzo wrote:
    There's some Giant carbon wheels on Ebay, brand new, for £500ish same as you get on the TCR Advanced Pro ranges.
    Enjoying mine on my Pro 1.

Hi, thanks, but I picked up a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST which are only 1400 grams for the pair. They are lighter than the Giant SLRs and have an aluminium braking strip which I have heard is superior to carbon when it comes to braking.