Between sizes...Up or down?

trickytree1984
trickytree1984 Posts: 71
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I just ordered a new Rose x Lite 6 in 57cm with a 9cm stem. I have a 86 cm inside leg (6 ft 1"), so their website recommends a 57 size...but only just. My winter bike is a cube Attain 58cm. My old (now broken) summer bike was a Rose CGF in 57. That was more sportive geometry and the X Lite is more race. To account for the longer reach on the x-Lite i have ordered a 1cm shorter (9cm) stem.

I'm not very flexible and my very recent bike fit lowered my saddle 2.5 cm to account for my poor hamsting length. Asking them they gave the following advice...

Looking at these compared with your Bike dims we could make them both work. The smaller one is a better length but a little low at the front. The bigger one is higher but a little long, requiring a 10mm smaller stem. Id be tempted to go for the smaller one personally as it will give you increased standover height and opportunity to lower the front more as you work on your hamstrings.

So, should i change my order to the 55 with a 10cm stem? At 6 1" ft it just seems like this could be too small (perhaps toe overlap?). Or do i stick with the 57 and shorter stem? I am worried about the handling by reducing the stem size...this bike already has "responsive" (read twitchy) handling. Its also got 62mm rims, so it could be unstable?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    If between sizes, I'd go smaller frame with longer stem. Toe overlap is not an issue on road bikes unless you often make slow speed tight turns. You can stack spacers in front with deep bung and remove later as you stretch your hamstrings.
  • Hmm.

Phone call to Rose to change the order then :-/

Thanks for the advice
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You have to go with a smaller frame - you can't make a frame that's too big fit you.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Fenix wrote:
    You have to go with a smaller frame - you can't make a frame that's too big fit you.

That. Every time.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Perhaps neither will be right and you're better off buying something else. This happens all the time for people.

I'm surprised people are advising when there's no mention of the geometry tables for the candidate bike sizes or a geometry table for the existing bike and any mention of spacers used on it really.

Oh, and a 9cm stem is getting too short on a bike of that size in that it stinks of it not really fitting who's buying it. At 6ft1" when you a model that has geometry and a size that suits you really want the stem to be between 10cm and 13cm and that doesn't need any more than 2cm of spacers on top of the conical headset spacer under the stem (1cm is my own limit). If you can't achieve those kind of limits then look for another bike to buy which will be in those limts when it hits your fit bang on.

Also, a bike fitter dropping a seat post by 2.5cm is a BIG adjustment unless you previously had it set much too high and didn't really know how to set it right.
  • mfin wrote:
    Perhaps neither will be right and you're better off buying something else. This happens all the time for people.

I'm surprised people are advising when there's no mention of the geometry tables for the candidate bike sizes or a geometry table for the existing bike and any mention of spacers used on it really.

Oh, and a 9cm stem is getting too short on a bike of that size in that it stinks of it not really fitting who's buying it. At 6ft1" when you a model that has geometry and a size that suits you really want the stem to be between 10cm and 13cm and that doesn't need any more than 2cm of spacers on top of the conical headset spacer under the stem (1cm is my own limit). If you can't achieve those kind of limits then look for another bike to buy which will be in those limts when it hits your fit bang on.

Also, a bike fitter dropping a seat post by 2.5cm is a BIG adjustment unless you previously had it set much too high and didn't really know how to set it right.

Thanks. i will be switching it to the smaller frame with 11cm stem, I think its best to keep the weight over the front wheel more

i was over stretched for my flexibility level apparently. It does feel more comfortable, i feel better after a ride and its not slower me down
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I always go small, given a choice.