Saddle bag for 3 Day Bikepack

pdid
pdid Posts: 1,065
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm currently searching for a largeish saddle pack for a 3 day bike packing tour. I'm looking at around 7 litre capacity and have narowed down to four options:

Carradice Barley/Super C + bagman support, not the cheapest and heavy compared to others.
Bridge Street medium + High bracket, seems expensive for what it is but well reviewed.
Alpkit Koala 7 + Exo rail, similar to the bridge street but a new system so not much information available.
Altura Arran 2, looks ok but I have a carbon seatpost.

I will be using my Trek Domane SL6 with carbon post and I do suffer with legs/ thighs rubbing anything mounted too close to the seatpost. Any opinions on the above and any other options. Thanks.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Carradice saddlebags have been around for so long because they work so well and last indefinitely. They have the biggest capacity of the bags you are considering and feature D-ring strapping points on top for wet rain jacket etc to keep the interior dry and expand your capacity. Cotton duck is waterproof and it's very handy to have a couple of side pockets. Straps are easily undone to access things on the go, rather than undoing roll-top systems. The Bagman support attaches to your saddle so there is no worry about damaging a carbon seatpost.

The problem with big bikepacking-style saddle packs attached by straps to saddle rails and seatpost is sway, which can be really annoying. That's why I like the look of the Alpkit with the Exo rail support. Again, it attaches to saddle not post. It's only a small capacity but if you are only away for three days and are travelling really light it seems a good option. Bit too restricted at 7 litres for me, though. The Altura and Bridge Street both use the seatpost which may be an issue for you but they look decent bags.

I personally use a Carradice Camper Long Flap which is perfect for week-long B&B tours. The extending flap gives huge extra capacity for carrying bulky items such as grocery shopping. Had it about 20 years. It's a quality product and worth the money.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Thanks for the reply, yes I like the look of the Carradice only issue I have is the weight penalty, the extra pockets would certainly be of benefit for quick access to tools etc.

The Alpkit looks well thought out looking to reduce sway, it is available in 13l form too. AFAIK the exo rail has only recently come to market so very little information. No external pockets would mean having to pack smarter. Quite a bit cheaper than Carradice too but not waterproof hmmmmm.