Change rear derailleur?

Swordfishtrombone
Swordfishtrombone Posts: 14
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi
I have just changed my 11-28 cassette to a 11-32. I bought a medium cage derailleur to go with it but thought I'd give it a go first with my existing short cage derailleur (all shimano 105). It actually seems totally fine but thought I should check what the consensus is on this. Anyone else tried this with good or bad results?

Comments

• vegasfoster
    vegasfoster Posts: 59
    Can try short cage, if doesn't fit your cassette, then 1) can flip the b-screw to the other side to make it longer or 2) use a longer b-screw if you have one or 3) get a Wolf Tooth Roadlink, around $20 usd over here, but not sure how much over there. :-)
  • How tight is your chain?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    If you have bought a medium cage rear mech. why not fit it?
  • Chain is fine.

Although I have the new mech ready to go I'll quite happily send it back and save myself some money if not needed. I also assume the shorter cage gives smoother shifting, otherwise why wouldn't medium cages be standard?

Rode into work today on it, tried out the 32 on a hill, and seemed fine. Shimano say 28 max though. Is there just a big margin of safety?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,769
    I have run similar on Campagnolo. They recommend a maximum variation of 16 tooth, 11-29 is 18.
    It works fine. The only problem is that I made the chain is long enough for a 2x large combination and got chain slap with a 2x small combination.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.