Gears 11 speed

shewy
shewy Posts: 62
edited May 2018 in Road beginners
I'm not entirely sure about the gears specifically the correct way to shift, so I have 50/34 11-32 Set up, in the small ring easiest gear then change up to gear 11 which is small at the front and small at the rear I think, if I move up to the big ring up front do I then need to shift down to the big ring at the back to go to gear 12? Or is big ring at front little ring at the back gear 12?. Most confused and as such ride middle ring in the rear most and switch between big and small at the front probably overlapping lots of gears.

Comments

• Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    No, if you do that your bike repair bill will be higher. Even though technically there are 22 possible combinations, you never use some of them. This is hard to explain without a graphic representation, just look it up on YouTube. Basically you use the combination of gears that suit your need while still keeping the chain as straight as possible. If your chain is rubbing on the front deraileaur then you know you are doing something wrong.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Roughly speaking try to use the rear gears on the same side as the chain ring you are in at the front and the middle gears as well. On 11 speed this means not using the two gears furthest from the chain ring that often e.g. big / big or small / small.

I rough guide is if the front mech rubs on the chain don’t use that gear unless you have to briefly.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Easy way to remember gears for a newbie is big at the front is hard, big at the rear is easy. So, running 50 front (outer or big ring) and 11 rear will be your hardest/fastest gear combination. 34 front (inner or small ring) and your biggest sprocket on the cassette will be your easiest gear. As others have said, running the chain in as straight a line as possible is your aim so you should avoid cross chaining as much as possible, particularly 34/11.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • shewy
    shewy Posts: 62
    Cheers for the replies watched a few videos on it and have a better understanding, seems to me a lot of similar gears and 2 you shouldn't really use so more like a 16 speed! Oh for the simplicity of my 1 x set up on my mountain bike
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    shewy wrote:
    Cheers for the replies watched a few videos on it and have a better understanding, seems to me a lot of similar gears and 2 you shouldn't really use so more like a 16 speed! Oh for the simplicity of my 1 x set up on my mountain bike

Small/small is a no no. Big/big is ok for short bursts such as when you've got a short ramp and don't want to drop to the inner ring and have to change gear at the back, only to have to change back to the big ring in quick succession.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.