Forum home Road cycling forum Cyclocross

Big man seeks bike

thegoatboythegoatboy Posts: 23
edited May 2018 in Cyclocross
Hello,

After a year of commuting on a heavy mountain bike I've decided an upgrade is needed and I think a Cyclocross bike is the best option.

I'm limited with a lot of bikes as I am a tall fella.

Contenders so far are:

Felt F65X 2018
Cube Cross Race Pro 2018
Giant TCX SLR 2 (pushing the budget there)

Any of them decent?

• imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,256
    They're all decent. Although it does depend on your definition of 'decent'. Could you be more specific?
  • thegoatboythegoatboy Posts: 23
    :-)

I guess what would people recommend?

I liked the sound of the cube, but there is a pretty bad review on Evans stating a loose stone wrote it off
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,270
    I've got the 2016 giant tax slr 2 which I love, good solid bike 2017 model has hydraulic brakes so even better. Website states large frame is for up to 188cm and it supposedly does an xl which goes up to 194 ish but can't find any on UK websites. Would suggest looking at last year's models to save a few quid. Rutland cycles or paulscycles website is worth a look for discounted bikes.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,256
    thegoatboy wrote:
    :-)

I guess what would people recommend?

I liked the sound of the cube, but there is a pretty bad review on Evans stating a loose stone wrote it off

maybe some idea of your budget, height, that sort of thing...
    6' 3"

Somewhere between 1000 and 1.5k
  • imafatmanimafatman Posts: 351
    For what you want to commute and ride around town there are now a multitude of other options which would be better suited in my opinion.

Lots of good endurance road/gravel disc bikes that accept a wide range of tyre options from 28-42c, have mudguard/rackmounts with road compact chainset. Very versatile, comfortable if you want to start doing longer rides.

Why anyone would buy a cx bike to commute i don't know?
    I've no idea! :-)

I wouldike to do longer rides and speed is something I'm after.

I've been riding mtb for about 20 years, so I'm very used to the upright riding position.

I read a bit about hybrids, and a lot of people seem to say you'll get bored of a hybrid quickly.

What bikes would you suggest?
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have you got somewhere secure to store the bike for commuting ?

I have done mountain biking for over 20 years and found a gravel bike with hydraulic brakes is good for road riding, I am 2m tall and 100kg. They take a wider variety of tyre widths than road bikes and are built to take off road riding as well.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoatN0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 4,497
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm limited with bike shops near me, and even more so as I'm looking at interest free payment.

Plus I want to see and try before I buy.

What about these?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orro-Terra-Gra ... 102923.htm

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-ToughRoa ... 113725.htm
    The Orro Terra looks like a good option. Just a shame it's mechanical discs.

My suggestion if you are looking in the region of £1300-

Genesis Equilibrium Disc : Full 105 Hydro setup, comfortable steel frame with a light weight carbon fork. 28c tyres with ease, rack and mudguard mounts. Well sorted frame that you could have forever and just upgrade over time.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-Equili ... _98964.htm
    Thought We had a winner with the genesis.

They only have extra small though.

I need xxl!
    Worth looking around to see who stocks them and whether they can offer you the right payment terms etc..

Shame they only have the XS in stock.