Ideal bike packing bike?

haydenm
haydenm Posts: 2,997
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I know bike packing is a bit of a fad at the moment but I’ve done a lot of ‘proper’ touring too, and understand the pros and cons.

I’ve come to the decision that it’s too risky and dangerous to get back my pace from last season in downhill mtb races, and the road bikes are starting to get the better of me after several years of using them to ‘train’. I have a lovely hardtail to ride for fun so I’m going to sell the race bike.

To make myself feel better I’ve decided to enter a 1600km bike packing race in the alps next year. Obviously being emotionally scarred from giving up on my dream I reckon I could sneak another new bike past the OH, so, if you were to enter a road based bike packing race what bike would you pick?

I have a steel genesis for touring and off road type things, and a supersix with carbon prime wheels currently. I am planning to do the race on the supersix but it needs a new group set and probably different wheels for the alps? Makes sense to employ N+1 right?

What features would be on your list? I am a disc brake fan, and I am happy with a fairly aggressive position. It’ll probably double up as a ‘best’ bike given the low spec of the supersix

Cheers

Comments

• Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Salsa Cutthroat!!!
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Salsa Cutthroat!!!

That is lust worthy! I reckon it might be too much crossover with the genesis though, despite the genesis being steel?

The race I’ve picked so far is road based and pretty short in the grand scheme of things. The bike won’t have to take much weight or anything so I was initially thinking a synapse disc or something? No idea of the clearance though for 28/30s