Campagnolo Chain Length Problem - Potenza 11

aphdoc
aphdoc Posts: 3
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,
I am installing a Potenza 11 group on my bicycle (with medium cage RD and 11-32 cassette).
Even though I am following all Campagnolo’s recommendation, I am having problems finding the correct chain length.
When shifting to the largest chainring (50T) and to the largest sprocket (32T) I have these two scenarios:
- With 55 links, the chain rubs in the RD cage (not enough tension).
- With 54 links, the distance between the chain and the cage is about 3cm (well over the 0.8-1.5cm recommended). Too much tension.
Would anyone have some advice/experience and which of the two options is the more adequate?
Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    You should not use that ratio, end of the story.

Big ring with big sprocket is a recipe for disaster, as the chain is too bent...equally small ring with small sprocket is a bad idea
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    are you doing it like this...

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... -section-3

you do this in small-small, to get the 8-15mm chain-cage gap in minimum chain tension position

why are you expecting the chain-cage gap to be 8-15mm in large-large? that is the maximum chain tension position
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • aphdoc
    aphdoc Posts: 3
    Thanks for your comments! Really appreciate it.
    Actually they made me realise that I didn't explain myself correctly.

I used the 50-32T ratio to find the right chain length (as recommended by Campagnolo and Parktool) and cut the chain to 55 links (55in).
    Then I shifted to 34-11T ratio to check for chain rub (or slack) and the chain was indeed rubbing the RD cage.

I removed one more chain link (to 54) but now there's a 3cm distance between the chain and the RD cage (way bigger than the 0.8-1.5cm recommended)

I agree with ugo that 34-11 ratio shouldn't be used while riding. I am just using the recommended method to get the chain length right.

Cheers!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    Typically I choose the big ring and the third biggest sprocket... with that combination, the cage needs to be vertical (the two jockey wheels are aligned vertically). Always works fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Big big bring the chain together without going through the rd. Add two inners and join. It always works.

Big big is always a bit noisy and should be avoided anyway. You are worrying over details you shouldn't so the job does not get finished.

Chain tension in big big or small small does not have to be perfect as you don't use those gears anyway.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.