New parts advice

Scnny
Scnny Posts: 15
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
Was looking at buying a whole new bike but some stuff has came up and was wondering on some upgrades I could make to my carrera hellcat 29er that would improve performance will have around £300 thanks

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Assuming the gears are working OK I'd get...

An air fork, suntour Raidon or Epixon depending on budget.

And a reasonable set of hydraulic brakes, shimano deore or Sram level.

You should just about be able to do that in budget.
  • Scnny
    mattyfez wrote:
    Assuming the gears are working OK I'd get...

An air fork, suntour Raidon or Epixon depending on budget.

And a reasonable set of hydraulic brakes, shimano deore or Sram level.

You should just about be able to do that in budget.
    I'll have a look at the fork, to be honest my brakes seem to be working fine I've tried out hydraulic brakes and don't really notice the difference any recommendations on tyres etc? Thanks for input bud
  • mattyfez
    It depends where you feel the bike is letting you down currently..
    Brakes and forks are obvious candidates for upgrade, as are tyres, you could get lighter tyres or more burly tyres, but that depends a lot on what tyres you already have and what sort of riding you do.
  • Scnny
    mattyfez wrote:
    It depends where you feel the bike is letting you down currently..
    Brakes and forks are obvious candidates for upgrade, as are tyres, you could get lighter tyres or more burly tyres, but that depends a lot on what tyres you already have and what sort of riding you do.
    I already have to buy some new brake levers as my current ones are bashed up do you know any good ones of them was recommended Clarks but at only £10 I didn't think they would be too good, the bike is mostly used for commuting but I go to dirt jumps and off road some times just have stock kenda slant six tyres was recommended to buy some maxxis tyres from a friend but would rather hear what other have to say first thanks again
  • mattyfez
    If your levers are busted then I'd certainty upgrade to a hydraulic set of brakes.

You can get a full set of clarks m2 for not much money, but i think a decent Sram or shimano set would be better.

I got utterly sick of having to constantly adjust cable operated disk brakes, so it's worth going hydraulic for that reason alone.
  • Scnny
    mattyfez wrote:
    If your levers are busted then I'd certainty upgrade to a hydraulic set of brakes.

You can get a full set of clarks m2 for not much money, but i think a decent Sram or shimano set would be better.

I got utterly sick of having to constantly adjust cable operated disk brakes, so it's worth going hydraulic for that reason alone.
    never had that issue mate and for 100+ I think I'll wait abit rn just get fork and tyres
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I agree with the above suggestions - forks and brakes.
    You can get a new set of Deore brakes for a £100 and a set of RS Recon for £150 (assuming you have 15mm front wheel).
    Slant 6 are decent tyres for the dry so put the spare £50 away and add a bit whenever you can to buy new tyres for the winter.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Scnny
    JBA wrote:
    I agree with the above suggestions - forks and brakes.
    You can get a new set of Deore brakes for a £100 and a set of RS Recon for £150 (assuming you have 15mm front wheel).
    Slant 6 are decent tyres for the dry so put the spare £50 away and add a bit whenever you can to buy new tyres for the winter.
    im confused why does it only come with the back brake mate? Or will I need to purchase left and front separately yeh I'll go look at them tyres now thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It's a set of front and rear brakes.
    Just noticed they are out of stock though, sorry.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Scnny
    JBA wrote:
    No problem bud I'm going to have a look at my tyre size in the morning and see if the suspension will work all I know is there 29ers right now haha
  • Scnny
    JBA wrote:
    I have only got the standard quick release don't have 15mm so will need to find one with a quick release
  • mattyfez
    It won't, if you have QR wheel hubs it will be easier just to get a fork that's QR.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/components/fork/Epixon-Epixon-9-29-5593.html
  • Scnny
    mattyfez wrote:
    It won't, if you have QR wheel hubs it will be easier just to get a fork that's QR.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/components/fork/Epixon-Epixon-9-29-5593.html
    Is £160 a good price for the epixon bud found some brand new on eBay
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork on recent Hellcats is a Suntour XCM, 9mm qr, 29er, with a straight steerer. A tapered steerer fork will not fit - however, if you replace the lower headset cup to an external one, you can squeeze it in.

The fork is the best upgrade by far on this bike.
  • mattyfez
    They do epixons in straight steerer 1-1/8 too though so that might be the best bet, but it depends what head-set and steerer tube you currently have.