Need help with parts for a Scott Sportster P4

Demth
Demth Posts: 2
edited May 2018 in Commuting general
Hi, friendly forum people!

First off, I'm not a technical bike person (which is why I'm here asking for help). So when you read my super hi-tech technical jargon, don't be intimidated!

I've got a Scott Sportster p4 which is quite a few years old. It was rather well used when I got it back in -08/-09 already and now it's completely unresponsive to my attempts at CPR. The freehub, or bracket, or whatever the thing is called that in the center of the wheel where the cogset should connect to the wheel when I pedal forward doesn't connect. Technical stuff aside, the wheels need replacement. So, I had the idea that I would switch my skinny road tires for something more winter friendly since I live in Sweden.

What I'm thinking is 27.5" wheels with two sets of tires - one set for winter with studs and one set which are more pavement friendly. My problem is that I've got no idea what goes with what. Or if 27.5" is the go-to choice for what I'm looking for.

For further info: I've got a Shimano 8-gear cogset for a 24 geared bike which hasn't been used for more than a year (I think it's Shimano CS-HG30), as well as a Shimano Alivio FC-T4010 (though I don't think the crankset matters?)

In the long run it'll primarily be a winter bike, and not my primary bike so I don't want to spend more than neccessary, but on the other hand I don't want stuff to fall apart after a season or two..

If any of you can help a fellow out, I'd be very happy :)

Thanks a bunch!
/O