Stupid Crown Race question

MissedTheBreak
MissedTheBreak Posts: 173
edited May 2018 in Workshop
I’ve bought a Planet-x RT-58 frame and fork to build a bike up, fitted the headset okay but cannot get the crown race that came with it to fit on the fork. The fork already has a similar profile to the crown race, not sure if this is supposed to go on top with a load of pressure or if it’s integrated to the fork?

Hoping there is a simple answer and I’m just being stupid.

The fork is similar to this:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOPXRT58A ... t-58a-fork

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Th fork pictured still needs a crown race - they are deliberately designed for interference fit, it usually takes a firm whack with a crown-setter to get them home. You can get a split crown race e.g. Hope that'll probably work as most headsets use a common bearing geometry
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    For a split crown race - just use a hacksaw on your existing crown race. It works fine...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    is it the correct headset? px site say it's tapered sterer bottom diameter 1.5", the crown race inside diameter should match

as above, they can require a fair bit of force to fit - you can try heating the crown race to make it a bit easier (boiling water or oven, no more than 150 celsius, that should be well within the safe range for epoxy resin) then quickly drop it on and drive it into place
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    As someone with a RT58 build .. I cannot recall having dramas with the crown race. I'm sure it is split. I probably bought a cheaper headset off Ebay and with it a crown race. I DO remember getting diddly squat from PX regards a decently finished frame and true Yorkshire , b ugger all else...... mind you I did get the frameset for £100.
  • Thanks all, will drive it on with some force and see what happens.

JGSI - Have to agree that despite the cheap price, dealing with Planet-X has been a massive disappointment and would put me off dealing with them again.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    If driving it down hard doesn't work, you can increase the diameter of the inside of the crown race by sanding it a little with a dremel tool.