Simon Yates/Steve McLaren

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,400
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Listening to Simon Yates' interviews over the past couple of weeks, mainly on the Cycling Podcast, I've been wandering if Steve McLaren has been giving him English lessons. He seems to have the timbre of a European speaking English as a 2nd language. Am I the only one that's noticed this?

Comments

• specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Have you ever been to Buuuureee
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

English is definitely a second language round there.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Sounds a bit boring on Eurosport.

I appreciate he's just finished racing, and does have to answer the same questions, multiple times.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Tashman wrote:
    Listening to Simon Yates' interviews over the past couple of weeks, mainly on the Cycling Podcast, I've been wandering if Steve McLaren has been giving him English lessons. He seems to have the timbre of a European speaking English as a 2nd language. Am I the only one that's noticed this?

Yep, defo a weird accent developing (over the last couple of stages). I reckon he's mates with Steve McLaren and Joey Barton :lol:
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474

Harsh on the land of Victoria Wood, Sir Robert Peel, Danny Boyle, Cherie Blair and Victoria Derbyshire. And me.

Though perhaps the fact that most of them moved away tells a story...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    larkim wrote:

Harsh on the land of Victoria Wood, Sir Robert Peel, Danny Boyle, Cherie Blair and Victoria Derbyshire. And me.

:) haha yes and Me too
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    larkim wrote:

:) haha yes and Me too

Moved away or they kicked you out?
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    What is it with pros saying "for sure" in interviews? I wish I hadn't noticed it, they ALLLLL do it...
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Being on an Aussie team isn't helping with an uptick at the end of each sentence.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    What is it with pros saying "for sure" in interviews? I wish I hadn't noticed it, they ALLLLL do it...
    Same with 'super', it's bloody annoying as hell. What happened to 'very' or 'extremely' and all the other words that could be used. As for the upward inflection that's as prevalent in California where it likely started that's far, far worse than using 'for sure'.
    As a rugby league man another common Australian theme in that the beginning of a sentence is bastardised all the time, shortening words by removing the consonants and simply popping an 'O' on the end. Registration (for cars) is 'reggo'' for example. :x
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    B3rnieMac wrote:

it's a continental thing, get it in F1 all the time. Id imagine he's picked it up from the other pros we talks to.

Super still used a lot in other continental languages as well, sometimes still in English which can sound strange when you hear a converation
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    tonyf34 wrote:
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Same with 'super', it's bloody annoying as hell. What happened to 'very' or 'extremely' and all the other words that could be used. As for the upward inflection that's as prevalent in California where it likely started that's far, far worse than using 'for sure'.
    As a rugby league man another common Australian theme in that the beginning of a sentence is bastardised all the time, shortening words by removing the consonants and simply popping an 'O' on the end. Registration (for cars) is 'reggo'' for example. :x

Another Australian one is starting the answer to a question with "ah, look...." - once heard you'll never miss it again
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Tashman wrote:
    Irrespective of how Simon Yates sounded, the Italians seemed to think he resembled Hugh Grant!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341
    It's all just dreadful if you ask me. All these good boys leaving glorious England and living among the heathens. It's no wonder they lose all culture! :mrgreen:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,645
    I have been using super as an adjective since 2015, and woe betide anyone who tells me I'm wrong to do so
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Awwww look when he starts every sentence with 'awww look' then we know he has a problem....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver