Beginner's first build: Groupset + ?

skabei
skabei Posts: 16
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a used groupset (Shimano 4600) and if everything checks out, what else will I need?
I've really only started looking into this two days ago and I might be in over my head, but I was planning to finding a cheap and light frame with a fork, nothing fancy, and then put this together. Ideally I want a gravel bike, but anything with drop bars will do.

Aside from the groupset, which includes the cassette, I'll know I'll need:

Frame + Fork
Seat
Pedals
New cables
Chain
Wheels
Tires

I know I'm missing a lot here, but I don't know what. Please help me out!
I'm continuing my research.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Bearings, grease, brakes, pads, inline adjusters, bartape, innertubes, seatpost clamp, cable guide, handlebars.
  • skabei
    Hahaha, see? I forgot a lot of the obvious ones.
    The breaks are included in the set, but I should probably replace the pads.
    I was thinking about the "seatpost clamp" but didn't know what to call it. Thank you.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Get hold of a bike.

Start at one end and write down everything you see until you get to the other end.

The cross off what you have against that list.

That is what you need.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • skabei
    Problem is, I don't know the name of some of the parts, and the functionality of them hahaha
    I suppose, I can start with an old frame...

Soo... what should I look for when scavenging for an old frame to build off of for a road/gravel bike?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Clearance for wider tyres. It's not certain that your brakes have masses of clearance themselves, but these can be changed.

I'd be tempted to get a disc brake frame and use a cable/hybrid braking system (like juin Tec - or something). Otherwise you will be severely limited by the amount of tyre clearance you can use which will severely limit its use as a gravel bike.

Tubeless wheels and tyres also may be better for more comfort and possibly puncture protection

Also a Stem is missing from your list.

Gravel bikes typically have more relaxed geometry (slacker angles) than all out race bikes which help with handling.
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd stay away from tubeless and discs as you are new to this bike building lark and they are an arse to work with.

Also I'd stay away from internal cable routed frames.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    re the names of bits - I' and I have just googled images of components of a bicycle and there are loads of images showing every part - stupid google won't let me paste the link but it will take you 30 seconds to do.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • skabei
    Clearance for wider tyres. It's not certain that your brakes have masses of clearance themselves, but these can be changed.

I'd be tempted to get a disc brake frame and use a cable/hybrid braking system (like juin Tec - or something). Otherwise you will be severely limited by the amount of tyre clearance you can use which will severely limit its use as a gravel bike.

Tubeless wheels and tyres also may be better for more comfort and possibly puncture protection

Thanks Shirley.
    I will check on the brakes and see how much clearance I can get out of them. Disc breaks and tubeless are a luxury that are a bit beyond what I need right now as I'm still really new to biking. I was trying to make a "gravel" bike as cheap as possible, but I don't know how to pair parts that I'm sourcing manually so I'm considering buying a whole groupset to make things a bit easier for me so that I know they will work together. Other than that, it's going to be far from a very capable gravel bike, but it'll be a fun start.
    re the names of bits - I' and I have just googled images of components of a bicycle and there are loads of images showing every part - stupid google won't let me paste the link but it will take you 30 seconds to do.

Thanks Matthew, I will be looking this up when I'm home and it'll definitely help.
  • Matthewfalle
    Gravel bike can be anything - road bike with fat tyres will do the job.

It's just a trendy name for something that has existed for years, so don't worry about it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • skabei
    Gravel bike can be anything - road bike with fat tyres will do the job.

It's just a trendy name for something that has existed for years, so don't worry about it.

That's what I'm noticing. Gravel bikes seem to be mid-price road bikes with thicker tires, which, by that definition, puts them out of my price range, so now I have to build my own :lol:
  • Philapino
    Philapino Posts: 26
    You'll also need a fork bung and top cap and some electrical tape (to help wrap the bars). Good luck!
  • Matthewfalle
    Philapino wrote:
    You'll also need a fork bung and top cap and some electrical tape (to help wrap the bars). Good luck!

its on the list he's doing.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    It is usually cheaper to buy a complete bike either brand new or second hand. Gravel bikes are quite new so there's not a lot on the second hand market, you could look at a cyclocross bike though and refresh the groupset.
  • I’d echo the cyclocross frame and fork approach if you are looking for a build with wider tyre capability. I built a winter bike over the winter like this and was a great educator in terms of learning about bike maintenance and parts. FYI most bike shops will adjust the gears for around a tenner if like me that part is beyond your capability at the end. Good luck!
  • skabei
    I’d echo the cyclocross frame and fork approach if you are looking for a build with wider tyre capability. I built a winter bike over the winter like this and was a great educator in terms of learning about bike maintenance and parts. FYI most bike shops will adjust the gears for around a tenner if like me that part is beyond your capability at the end. Good luck!

That'd be ideal but I don't think I can find a cheap enough cyclocross frame. I'm just trying to find a frame that's in a good enough shape for the build, isn't too heavy, and has decent clearance. I'm in no rush so I'll see what I can find.