What to look out for when buying used Groupset

skabei
skabei Posts: 16
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi!

I'm relatively new to biking and I want to either convert my hybrid to drop bars or to build a gravel bike.
I found someone selling a Shiman 4600 groupset (complete set) that has been used for one season. I'm not totally sure if this is what I want but what should I look out for when buying something like this? He hasn't posted any pictures but I can ask for them.

Thanks

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Defintely get pictures.

Groupsets are hard to destroy in 1 season, so maybe double check the mileage. If the whole thing looks caked in oil/filth or rusty as hell then assume it's been abused so perhaps the chainrings may also be heavily worn.

Expect to pay for: New cables (inners and outers), new brake pads, new chain, new cassette.

The other thing to be wary of is that hybrids typically have a frame size larger than a drop bar equivalent as once you add the stem, bars and shifters, you increase the reach by quite a lot.

Also check the bottom bracket standard. I imagine the hybrid is BSA threaded (english thread) in which case it's easy to put in a new bottom bracket at the cost of around £10 quid (+fitting extra)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Make sure the shifters work and that the chainrings aren't worn out, they are the expensive bits.

A 10 speed chain and cassette can be had pretty cheaply.

Buy through Ebay if you can, then you have some protection if he said they were OK but turn out to be useless.

Does it come with cables attached? If your bike is bigger than the one it came from you might need new inners and outers, for both brakes and derailleurs, which will bump up the cost.

So check the price against the cost of a new 4700 groupset first...
  • skabei
    Thanks guys!

I will ask for photos of the whole set with focus on the chainrings. He's pretty local so going to see it in person isn't a big deal.
    I'll ask about the size of the bike that it came off of.
    To be honest, I'm more likely to build a second bike since my hybrid (Trek FX3) is actually quite enjoying the way it is, except that I've always wanted drop bars.
  • skabei
    He sent me a lot of thorough pictures and the whole set looks quite clean, and he's including the cassette, which is nice, I suppose. The chain ring looks good overall, missing a tiny bit of paint on the tips (they're black), but otherwise, I think the set is definitely not too used.
    I suppose I should price-compare and see if it's a good deal or not.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yep. Silver tips of the chainring teeth are normal