Has a Breakaway rider ever snagged the leaders jersey?

MishMash95
MishMash95 Posts: 104
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Was just having a thought and was wondering if a rider who is around say ~15 minutes down in GC has ever made it into a break that has stayed away and thus rocketed themselves into the leaders position?

I imagine most teams would be well-informed and thus motivated to chase to avoid that possibility, but i'd be interested to hear if it has happened, or atleast if it were feasible for a rider who was down to claw back a significant amount of time as part of a well-motivated breakaway unit?

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Oscar Pereiro won the Tour in 2006 (after Floyd Landis got banned) by gaining 4 mins 30 in a breakaway on stage 12
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Isn't that how Pereiro ended up winning the Tour -well that and Landis getting DQed ? There are a few other examples I'm sure - didn't one of the Italians - maybe Chiappucchi ?? do something similar.

edit - I just knew someone would beat me to it !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    It happened often enough back in the day. Classic example is Robert Millar relaxing with @ 6 1/2 minute lead in the Vuelta and getting mugged. Not likely now with radios.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Here you are
    "
    After a quiet start to his career he burst onto the scene in the 1990 Tour de France. Chiappucci found himself almost casually wearing the yellow jersey after a stage one attack which the favourites allowed him to arrive with a 10-minute time advantage. In subsequent stages he resisted the return of Greg LeMond, only losing the lead of the race in stage 20, the final time trial. In the end, LeMond won the Tour by 2' 16", Chiappucci came home with a surprising second place"
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It's not the same thing because he went on stage 1, but Chiappucci was famously given too much rope and nearly hung on for the whole race. Only the final TT put paid to his grip on yellow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    I always thought that was as much a case of "No you keep it. For now."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    joey54321 wrote:
    Oscar Pereiro won the Tour in 2006 (after Floyd Landis got banned) by gaining 4 mins 30 in a breakaway on stage 12

He was given 30 minutes on stage 13. I had bet on Kloden to win the tour and I am still annoyed with him for his role in the shambles.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    in gt's its rare that the breakaway rider went on to keep it. OP must be the closest in recent years. edit but that tour was a debacle...

1997 tour de Suisse... I remember Christopher agnulutto (sp?) a relatively unknown domestique riding off on a stage while the main gc guys looked at each other to chase. got an insane 20 odd min lead on the 1st or 2nd stage and just hung on till the end from a rampaging bionic team telekom lead by Jan Ullrich
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Voeckler in 2011, though he was assisted by the fence incident (and the deficit wasn't huge despite being in 2nd week)!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    In the year Walkowiak won, 1956, Darrigade took the first stage but then lost over 15 minutes to a breakaway on the third stage. He then made up a similar amount of time by getting into a break on the next day to retake the jersey.

Imagine how long the spoiler threads would have been...

(edit: have just realised this fulfills the 15 minutes in the OP)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Doesn't answer the question but.....LOL
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... apie-67358
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Armstrong would quite often let a break get a large win to give away the jersey to a non-threat. In 2001 a large breakaway gained 35 minutes with Stuart O'Grady taking the lead, followed by Francois Simon. Andrei Kivilev finished in 4th on GC.

And then there was the 2010 Giro where the peloton split and about 40 riders gained around 12 minutes and first year pro Richie Porte took the lead.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    TheBigBean wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

He was given 30 minutes on stage 13. I had bet on Kloden to win the tour and I am still annoyed with him for his role in the shambles.

Whoops, yes, I misread the time gaps.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Thierry Marie won stage 6 of the 1991 Tour with a 234km breakaway to take the yellow jersey.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • MishMash95
    MishMash95 Posts: 104
    Heh very interesting! Only started watching pro racing last year, will have to have a dig through some of these, would definitely shake things up to see that happen again in the modern peleton, but yeah, with radios, I don't see how it could, unless the rider was a genuine non-threat.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Thierry Marie won stage 6 of the 1991 Tour with a 234km breakaway to take the yellow jersey.

went from the flag at the roll out on his own.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Voeckler in 2011, though he was assisted by the fence incident (and the deficit wasn't huge despite being in 2nd week)!

He was still in Yellow on Stage 18, wasn't he? So close! Despite going into someone's driveway near Sestriere... :lol:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Ben6899 wrote:

He was still in Yellow on Stage 18, wasn't he? So close! Despite going into someone's driveway near Sestriere... :lol:

Thought it was a few years earlier than 2011 maybe 2004 or 2006. Do remember Voeckler getting yellow and then hanging on by second on a mountain stage finish to keep yellow.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    sherer wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Thought it was a few years earlier than 2011 maybe 2004 or 2006. Do remember Voeckler getting yellow and then hanging on by second on a mountain stage finish to keep yellow.
    He had it in 2004 and 2011.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    thanks for clarifying.. was 2004 I was thinking of
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    I wish we still had two stages on the same day, probably not possible without "assistance"