What to Buy Voodoo or Custom

Scnny
Scnny Posts: 15
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
Was looking at buying a new mountain bike for around £500 in next month or so was looking at voodoo hoodoo or bizango but was told buying used parts and building myself was the better option and not sure on parts to buy to be honest thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You answered your own question really. If you don't know how or what to buy to do it, best to buy off the shelf new. Secondhand is fantastic if you know what you are looking at and for, if not it's a minefield.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Have to agree with Chunkers there, if you're not sure of what you're buying go with a new one.
  • Scnny
    You answered your own question really. If you don't know how or what to buy to do it, best to buy off the shelf new. Secondhand is fantastic if you know what you are looking at and for, if not it's a minefield.
    Yeh I thought that's what I thought would be best I'll have a look at voodoos on eBay and gumtree then
  • Scnny
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Have to agree with Chunkers there, if you're not sure of what you're buying go with a new one.
    Ok thanks mate
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Scnny wrote:
    Yeh I thought that's what I thought would be best I'll have a look at voodoos on eBay and gumtree then

But that's still secondhand? :?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It sounds like you need to buy a new bike like the Bizango so you can see how bikes are put together and how the components work / affect how the bikes perform. Then you can look at upgrades or building a bike as you will have a much better idea what you want from a bike and how everything fits together.
  • Scnny
    Scnny wrote:

But that's still secondhand? :?
    I understand what to look for as signs of wear etc and if things aren't working as far as my knowledge goes though bud
  • Scnny
    Kajjal wrote:
    It sounds like you need to buy a new bike like the Bizango so you can see how bikes are put together and how the components work / affect how the bikes perform. Then you can look at upgrades or building a bike as you will have a much better idea what you want from a bike and how everything fits together.
    Probarly my best option going to have a look in halfords next month to see which on I'm going to get already have a 29er so I'm thinking bizango will be the best for me
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Also, it can often cost more to build a bike from parts unless you get absolute bargains on the main components. Things like a B.B. / Saddle / Seatpost / Stem / Headset / Handlebar / grips add up to a surprising amount - say over £100 if you buy bargains.

Then say a bargain frame for £100, forks say £150, wheels over £100, tyres £50, pedals £20, brakes with rotors £100. Plus a group set as well - £100?

That totals over £700 straight away. I did something similar with some bits I already had and bought some proper bargains and it still owes me £400 or more and that’s a 26” wheel bike. Frame was £50 and forks were £50 and I had spare 1x10 stuff.

You’re probably better off buying a whole bike new and then you know what you’re getting. Voodoo or Boardman at Halfords are a good place to start - or maybe a Calibre from Go Outdoors or some kind of rockrider from Decathlon.