Canal towpaths?

bflk
bflk Posts: 240
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of getting a second new bike dedicated to local canal towpaths. I had been looking at the Boardman Adventure bike with hydraulic disc brakes and a nice orange coat of paint

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/c ... nture-bike

but in the days I've been dithering it seems to have run out of local stock and can't be delivered. Nearest one now is Edinburgh which is too far for me.

Any recommendations for similar spec/price range?

Comments

• bflk
    oxoman wrote:
    Halfords website shows available for delivery, but what about Boardman CX team for a bit less and slightly lighter.

I thought that at first but when I put M size in basket and go to checkout it says delivery not available. I'll check out the other tx.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Any bike with wide tyres would do you - how far will you be riding ? What's the surface like ?
  • bflk
    Its the Forth and Clyde canals so varies, some bits are rougher than others. Admittedly I do see some on what look like standard road bikes/tyres but I wouldn't do it with mine. Distances not done more than couple of hours previously but would like to extend that.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I might be tempted to go more to the MTB style bike than road bike ? I can do bits of canals on my road bike on 25mm tyres but it'd probably be comfier on an MTB.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    oxoman wrote:
    Im guessing the canal side is paved, .

Nope. Typically hard packed or muddy or gravelly IIRC.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Decathlon triban gravel bikes due out in the autum. Or Evans pinnacle, Norco search are options.
  • bflk
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've started with a new road bike for now (Emonda) so will revisit this shortly.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,914
    Gravel is fine but if it's grass or hard mud a CX bike is literally a pain in the ass
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shewy
    shewy Posts: 62
    Pinnacle Arkose or pyrolite from Evans, been thinking about a Arkose 4 for a while now