Cymru/Galles 2020?

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,157
edited May 2018 in Pro race
A big rumour on the Cycling Podcast of the Giro starting in Cardiff in 2020. Something I've advocated for a long time due to strong Italian links to South Wales (and me living here). I'll have to ask my contacts when I see them.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95 wrote:
    A big rumour on the Cycling Podcast of the Giro starting in Cardiff in 2020. Something I've advocated for a long time due to strong Italian links to South Wales (and me living here). I'll have to ask my contacts when I see them.

2020 makes far more sense to me.
    They are supposedly on the 2019 shortlist, but after an away game, the RCS normally bring the race home for the following year. I see the latest rumour for next year is Marseilles.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    insiders at the county council were saying health and safety exec had been told by the emergency services that it would blow their budget to be able to do the necessary. nat assem can't afford to fund due to Brexit and EU money being taken away.

HOWEVER, Cymbran & Caerwent County Councils have got a proposal together using a pot of old money from a defunct project to regenerate some old military training ground and its been very excitedly looked at by yhe Giro organisers - they see it as potential for annother Tour ee Yorkshire.

Needless to say, Cymbran are well excited. Start in Cymbran, big long loop, end in Caerwent.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    Good stuff
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Are the two councils interested in replicating the TdY as well then? (Just interested from your post).

Be interesting to see if there's been any quantification of the benefits the TdY has brought to Yorkshire. Certainly shows the place in a good light.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Interesting insight MF. I don't suppose the budget has anything to do with that racetrack they were building?

Genuine question - I can't remember what happened to it in the end. There was some politics around F1 using it or not or something.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574
    I think MF may be taking the p!ss as neither of those Council's actually exist!

As for the race track it was finally realised that the promoters had hoodwinked the Welsh Government into spending money on something that had no chance of succeeding commercially and it all collapsed when they belatedly refused to put more public money into it.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Cardiff would be good for a prologue.

Rhigos, Bwlch, Hoel Senni for stage 2, though perhaps more TdF ish than Giro.

Abergeswyn is sort of Giro style.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574
    florerider wrote:

All a bit urban though other than Heol Senni. If Wales forks out for some stages they'd presumably want to show off the countryside. A nice stage based in Swansea taking in the Gower and Carmarthenshire and then another out of Cardiff and into the Beacons as quickly as possible would do the trick (assuming the north is a bit too far away and that mid Wales, which has perfect cycling territory, is lacking in stage towns). But as it's the Giro then a stage taking in the Devil's Staircase and Bwlch y Groes would be favourite!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pross wrote:

As for the race track it was finally realised that the promoters had hoodwinked the Welsh Government into spending money on something that had no chance of succeeding commercially and it all collapsed when they belatedly refused to put more public money into it.

Negatron - do some research. Lower Rye area of Monmouthshire County Council covered by Carwaent Comm Council. Apologies for confusion. - tried to simplify it to much!

It's well known around here that the pot of money was going to be taken back by the nat. assem to fund some other projects in an attempt to rejuvenate the area but this was seen as potential long shot. Racetrack funding went but everyone has been stuffed by the Brexit vote because all the farmers are about to lose their subsidies and workers.

But hey, blue passports, etc. But that's for another thread.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It would be good to have something not in Yorkshire. Gary Verity deserves all the credit in the world but it's time to share it about a bit now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Are the two councils interested in replicating the TdY as well then? (Just interested from your post).

Be interesting to see if there's been any quantification of the benefits the TdY has brought to Yorkshire. Certainly shows the place in a good light.

It's just a big piece of paper with "It's reet good" written on it
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Pross wrote:
    florerider wrote:

All a bit urban though other than Heol Senni. If Wales forks out for some stages they'd presumably want to show off the countryside. A nice stage based in Swansea taking in the Gower and Carmarthenshire and then another out of Cardiff and into the Beacons as quickly as possible would do the trick (assuming the north is a bit too far away and that mid Wales, which has perfect cycling territory, is lacking in stage towns). But as it's the Giro then a stage taking in the Devil's Staircase and Bwlch y Groes would be favourite!

Cardiff to Aber? That could be made very Giroish, hard, long and probably raining.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Not if Aber is short for Abercynon
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It's just a big piece of paper with "It's reet good" written on it

£60m per year according to the people who make these things up.

I had a weekend in the Yorkshire dales a couple of weeks ago. The number of cyclists out on the Friday was staggering.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited May 2018
    Pross wrote:

Lacking in stage towns - also massively lacking in accommodation- unless the teams/organisation/media all fancy staying in farmhouse B&Bs or camp sites.

Same issue in Carmarthenshire with the ToB start...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    Imposter wrote:
    Lacking in stage towns - also massively lacking in accommodation- unless the teams/organisation/media all fancy staying in farmhouse B&Bs.

Same issue in Carmarthenshire with the ToB start...
    What's up with a tent? Plenty of fields around.
    I'm sure the pros won't mind a bit :mrgreen:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Nice 300 km stage up to Bangor following the outward leg of the Bryan Chapman Memorial?
    left the forum March 2023
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Pross wrote:

Cymbran is a figment of his imagination as well!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    narbs wrote:
    Cymbran is a figment of his imagination as well!

He's right you know..
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    As a motorsport fan, the Welsh Assembly provide the backing for the UK round of the WRC; Rally of GB......I imagine they can't back 2 major sporting events. And as cycling surely provides a 'bigger bang for buck' than rallying, you would think backing the start of the Giro would be a no brainer?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    AndyRAC wrote:
    As a motorsport fan, the Welsh Assembly provide the backing for the UK round of the WRC; Rally of GB......I imagine they can't back 2 major sporting events. And as cycling surely provides a 'bigger bang for buck' than rallying, you would think backing the start of the Giro would be a no brainer?
    Living in Cardiff I know we can back more than one sporting event, and frequently have done. The Champions League final was in Cardiff last year. The Volvo Ocean Race is in Cardiff this week. The Speedway event is surprisingly popular. There's Six Nations, Test Cricket, Premiership football next season, final stage of Tour of Britain etc. Your mud cars barely register for us (sorry)
    Twitter: @RichN95