Shadow XT 9 speed rear mech and 40 tooth sprocket

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Will it work?

AND, do 10 speed MTBike cassettes have the same spacings as 10 speed road cassettes?

I am thinking of entering an event which features Hardknott after 500 km (among other brutes), so I am looking at the biggest possible cassette I can mount
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea about road stuff, but a 9 speed MTB mech won't work on a 10 speed MTB cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Will it work?

AND, do 10 speed MTBike cassettes have the same spacings as 10 speed road cassettes?

I am thinking of entering an event which features Hardknott after 500 km (among other brutes), so I am looking at the biggest possible cassette I can mount
    Assuming the bike has 10sp shimano shifters (not Tiagra 4700) the 9 spd mountain bike mech and 10 speed cassette should work fine. Chain might need a couple of links extra....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    Svetty wrote:
    Assuming the bike has 10sp shimano shifters (not Tiagra 4700) the 9 spd mountain bike mech and 10 speed cassette should work fine. Chain might need a couple of links extra....

Yep, 10 speed 105.. it works with 10 speed road cassettes
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    same spacing ugo. yes a 9 speed XT mech will work with an 11-40T but is there a 10 speed 11-40T. Well shimano dont do one but they do an 11-36T. with an SGS cage you might get that to work but you will be exceeding the capasity of the RD.

I have fitted 11-34T to road bikes with 9 speed XT RD's before without issue.

11-40T will need a wolf tooth drop link.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Is it a compact chain set? I set up my 10 speed 2nd Road bike with 9 speed mtb rear mech last year and low gear is 34-36, that should get you up anything?
  • ugo.santalucia
    McStumpy wrote:
    Is it a compact chain set? I set up my 10 speed 2nd Road bike with 9 speed mtb rear mech last year and low gear is 34-36, that should get you up anything?

You would think so, but in my experience after that kind of mileage you need a 1:1 ratio just to go up a 10% slope. Besides, I would carry a large seat pack making the bike probably around 12 kg.

The event is called Pendle 600, it has roughly 10K of climbing, with loads of 20-30% buggers... having that kind of cassette is the first box to tick if I want to at least consider entering next year