£3000 budget for new bike - any advice or recommendations

Harryt
Harryt Posts: 5
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Very sadly came off my beloved Scott Addict R1 at the weekend and don't feel comfortable having a couple of cracks repaired by a carbon wizard so now looking for a replacement....
To give an idea of my riding, I'm Cat3 and about to head off to do the Marmotte route and usually cover about 4000 miles a year.
I am not however a disciple of all makes and models so would really appreciate any advice or steering towards current deals.
My two main wishes are:
Hydraulic disc
Ultegra (pref Di2 but know that's a serious premium)
Other than that my Scott weighed in at 6.8kg so would be prefer to stay around that kind of weight.

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Shame that is your view as carbon is very easily repairable by the right people.

For that money you may find a 2nd hand c59 disc if one comes up or the c60s are about 1k more (eBay has lots as does Facebook marketplace).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2643527189

What if you build this up and sell the old components? I think you may be able to haggle something off the price of you pay cash to avoid fees?
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    If you are happy to go online then at that budget I would look at this Rose.
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite ... i2-2661675
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Bianchi XR3 is also a fantastic bike
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Assuming that it is just the frame that's damaged, are there things that you can scavenge from the old bike?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    CAAD12 disc ultegra - never have to worry about repairing carbon again.
  • Harryt
    Harryt Posts: 5
    Thanks for your replies everyone....
    Joe - yes, but I really want to go disc now if I'm spending £3000, so only some will be recoverable.
    Shirley - what a great bike but Im 183cm so a 54cm won't fit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Or drop the discs and get a lightish bike.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultim ... x-8-0.html
  • shirley_basso
    My personal view is that Canyons aren't such great VFM any more. After buying all my bikes second hand, I have never been disappointed.

The one thing I would say is that it does seem strange to bin the old frame when it's perfectly serviceable. I'm your height, can I have it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colnago-C59- ... 3631053351 should be your size (I have one which is identical except ultegra and zipps)
  • pamplemoose
    pamplemoose Posts: 85
    YiannisM wrote:
    Bianchi XR3 is also a fantastic bike

I have the Ultegra Disc XR3 and it's outrageously good, even with the Celeste tax factored in. Its out of the OPs budget by £1k though unless they wait until 2019 pricing kicks in. Even then, the disc version was only released mid-April so it might not get reduced much.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Singleton wrote:
    CAAD12 disc ultegra - never have to worry about repairing carbon again.

This.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    My personal view is that Canyons aren't such great VFM any more. After buying all my bikes second hand, I have never been disappointed.

The one thing I would say is that it does seem strange to bin the old frame when it's perfectly serviceable. I'm your height, can I have it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colnago-C59- ... 3631053351 should be your size (I have one which is identical except ultegra and zipps)

He's 183cm, I wouldn't be sure he needs a 54s. I'm 182cm and have a 52s and even that is pretty much slammed.

Oh another note it's a shame the berk who had that bike didn't wrap the chainstay with copter tape, there's absolutely no need to have a bike go like that if you just put in an extra 15mins copter taping places like that when you build it. There's not a single mark on anywhere on mine after thousands of miles.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Emonda SL disc @ £2650?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • shirley_basso
    mfin - usually I would agree with you but I am 183 and ride a 54s and it fits pretty perfectly (you can see it on this forum). My winter bike is a bit more aggressive but actually it makes sod all difference on the road. The additional length makes it aggressive without being cramped.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    At £3k there are few bad bikes.
    Do a cost benefit analysis on the specification, throw it in the bin, and then just buy the pretty one.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin - usually I would agree with you but I am 183 and ride a 54s and it fits pretty perfectly (you can see it on this forum). My winter bike is a bit more aggressive but actually it makes sod all difference on the road. The additional length makes it aggressive without being cramped.

Not a problem, I'm just pointing out that many 6ft people ride 52s. I couldn't use a 54s.

I don't ride bikes which fit differently myself, I get everything exactly the same between bikes, only available stem lengths mess it up a tiny bit, for example one of my bikes is 4mm longer to the bars than the other and there's nothing really I can do about that.